D.J. joins ex-assistant Todd on bench

Title: ESPN.com - NBA - D.J. joins ex-assistant Todd on bench

Go Network
News   Money   Entertainment   Kids   Family Check e-mail
Search for on
Super Bowl Gear Here! Click Here for Nike

 ESPN Network: ESPN.com | NFL.com | NBA.com | NASCAR | NHL.com | WNBA.com | ABCSports | EXPN | FANTASY | STORE | INSIDER
NBA
Scores/Schedules
Standings
Statistics
Transactions
Injuries
Players
Weekly lineup

  Sport Sections
NBA
Scores
M College BB
Scores
NHL
Scores
W College BB
Scores
Golf Online
Scores
Baseball
NFL
College Football
Tennis
Soccer
Soccernet (UK)
NASCAR
  Broadcast
Live Radio/TV
TV Listings
Video Highlights
Audio Highlights
  Community
Sign-in/Home
Chat
Message Boards
Arcade Games
  ESPN Inc.
ESPY Awards
The Magazine
Personalities
Press Releases
ESPN Products
Ask ESPN
ESPN Zone
SPECIAL SECTIONS
Fantasy Games
  NBA: In the Paint
  NHL: Frozen Ponderings
Purchase Tickets
Contests
Big Monday
WebPC Sweeps
Careers and Jobs
SportsCentury
SportsFigures
Sports JEOPARDY!
Training Room
Vid Game Reviews
  Friday, February 4
D.J. joins ex-assistant Todd on bench

Associated Press

  LOS ANGELES -- Former NBA player Dennis Johnson was hired Friday as an assistant coach by the Los Angeles Clippers.

The move was made a day after the Clippers fired coach Chris Ford and replaced him with assistant Jim Todd at least through the end of the season.

Johnson, 45, was an assistant coach for the Boston Celtics (1993-97), and began his head coaching career this season with the LaCrosse Bobcats of the CBA.

"Dennis is a great addition to our coaching staff," said Elgin Baylor, the Clippers' vice president of basketball operations. "He has played in the league for 14 years, and he knows about winning. Aside from the other qualities he will bring to the team, I believe he will be a great asset with our backcourt players and helping to improve our overall team defense."

Johnson averaged 14.0 points, 5.0 assists and 3.9 rebounds in his career. He played with three NBA championship teams -- the Seattle SuperSonics in 1979, and the Celtics in 1984 and 1986.

"Having grown up in New England, I have followed his whole career and am looking forward to taking advantage of his experience and insight," Todd said.

Johnson attended Pepperdine in nearby Malibu, Calif., before being selected by Seattle in the second round of the 1976 NBA draft.

The Clippers (11-34), who have lost 16 of their last 18 games, play their first game under Todd on Saturday night against Dallas at Staples Center.

ALSO SEE
Staggering Clippers fire Ford, elevate assistant Todd

ESPN.com: Help | Advertiser Info | Contact Us | Tools | Site Map | Jobs at ESPN.com
Copyright ©2000 ESPN Internet Ventures. Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and Safety Information are applicable to this site.

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image

GIF image