Re: from the horse's mouth. . .

If Peter May actually cites these rinky-dink Internet sites, then before long
he'll be on to us as well. Maybe we should hold a contest to see who can plant
the most ridiculous but plausible phony Antoine rumor, in the hopes that Peter
May or Sam Smith or Jackie McMuffin pick it up.

My own reaction to May's curious column is that he printed Rick Pitino's slam
dunk denial of the silly trade rumor as a way to share with his Boston readers
a collective sense of "get this guys, can you believe Pitino actually is
incompetent/blind enough to say and believe this nice crap about Antoine
Walker?"

The whole Antoine thing is all a big joke/mystery to Peter May, to the point
where he'd happily print nearly verbatim a complete in-your-face denial of the
rumor he helped disseminate, while at the same time holding out a
sincere-sounding hope that the trade deadline is after all still a good four
weeks away. Peter May is playing a gambit. The whole sarcastic tone of his
piece is that May's bound to be proven right about the Celts' natural
desperation to unload Walker, despite Pitino's untrustworthy claims to the
contrary.

May's attitude is how could anyone see anything good in the Celts' captain,
other than those jerks who write better than he does over at the Herald?

Joe

p.s. Tom, I enjoyed your last post.

-------