Jim

Celts shoot for stability: Pitino likes look of current starters
by Steve Bulpett
Tuesday, February 1, 2000

In a season that has seen a number of changes in the Celts, a lack of change
for a while with this starting group would suit Rick Pitino just fine.

Though preseason thoughts of going with Danny Fortson ended when the power
forward fractured his right foot, Pitino settled on Paul Pierce, Antoine
Walker, Kenny Anderson, Vitaly Potapenko and Adrian Griffin for openers.

``Well, I didn't realize Adrian would be that good, so I was unsure there,''
Pitino said yesterday. ``I was thinking more of Calbert (Cheaney). But
Adrian obviously played very well, so he became one of the starters.''

Now that Fortson is back - though not getting much time on some nights -
using him more heavily would necessitate a move of Walker to small forward.
Said Pitino of such a plan, ``That was not a very successful venture.''

``I think with the second group, we have to continue to develop Tony Battie,
obviously,'' he said. ``And right now, because our other guys are playing so
many minutes, we're trying get Danny Fortson some more minutes. It's very
difficult to do when Antoine's playing as well as he's playing.''