Pitino Still Searching for Right Formula

December 21, 2000
Pitino Still Searching for Right Formula
By MIKE WISE

The Associated Press
Celtics Coach Rick Pitino has never been shy about his feelings, on the
court and off. Now he says he's feeling pressure to win.

he Boston Celtics were run off the floor by the Chicago Bulls last week and
the Fleet Center emptied earlier than anyone could remember. Charles
Barkley then offered optimism for Celtic legions who have been longing not
for a 17th championship banner, but a glimpse — even a sniff — of the
postseason.

"I just think the Celtics are a couple players away, that's all," Barkley,
the TNT analyst, told his colleagues, who looked at him in amazement. "Just
a few — Bird, McHale and Parish."

More than three years after he pledged to return championship tradition to
one of America's most hallowed franchises, Rick Pitino, and his team, had
again provided a source of comedy.

Pitino, the sideline miracle-worker who had turned around Providence,
Kentucky and a beleaguered Knickerbocker team, wanted to bring glory back
to Boston. Instead, he is dealing with a sub-.500 team that few people are
paying to watch.

"Did you hear Larry Brown was thinking of resigning?" Pitino said yesterday
in a telephone interview. "They're 18-6 and things are crazy there. It's no
secret: the N.B.A. is a tough, tough existence."

Three times in the past week, the Celtics (10-15 after last night's victory
over the Nets) have broken the mark for the smallest crowd at the Fleet
Center. Fewer than 12,000 people paid to see them play Dallas on Monday,
the most paltry home crowd since the second game of Larry Bird's rookie
year in 1979.

Boos and jeers are commonplace. Several well-heeled season ticket-holders
regularly bait Pitino from behind the bench. The atmosphere is becoming toxic.

What's more, 17 of Boston's first 25 games were at home. The Celtics play
13 of their next 19 on the road. With point- guard problems mounting and
his players not responding, Pitino may be making his last visit to Madison
Square Garden tonight as president and coach of the Celtics. "What I'm
trying to do is coach every day as if it's my last day," he said. "I'm not
being misleading; I'm just being honest. The job is to turn the team around
right now."

Pitino plans to meet with the owner, Paul Gaston, in January to discuss the
state of the franchise. Gaston has publicly said he wants Pitino to remain
as coach. Though he has $22 million remaining on his current deal, Pitino
has reiterated that he will not remain merely to "take Paul Gaston's
money," even using the mantra as a motivational ploy for his moribund team.

"When I first came out and said it last season, it was a mistake," he said.
"But I just felt I've got to take accountability at some point. Rather than
blow the team up all the time, I've got to blow up myself. We're not as
bleak as our record, but it's got to fall on someone's shoulders. If things
don't improve, I have to make a decision."

High-profile college jobs have been discussed on Boston radio call-in
shows, with the University of Massachusetts, Michigan and U.C.L.A. leading
the pack as possible Pitino landings.

He has seen reports that all he needs to do is work out a settlement with
Gaston. "None of that's true," he said. "The money would not hold me here.
I would leave. I don't enjoy losing. But I do enjoy my players. I will say
this: If I didn't have a good relationship with my team, I would move up my
calendar."

The Celtics are 100-139 under Pitino. Kenny Anderson, the starting point
guard, is recovering from a fractured jaw and is a month away from game
shape. Paul Pierce is putting up phenomenal numbers and Antoine Walker
occasionally reminds people of his All-Star potential.

But the fast-paced, frenetic game Pitino loves to coach has betrayed him.
The rotating and trapping has left the Celtics vulnerable to offensive
rebounds and layups. The defensive pressure he applied for 40 minutes a
game at Kentucky has deteriorated into 48 minutes of hideous ball in Boston.

The irony is, Pitino's first season began almost magically. Knocking off
Michael Jordan and Chicago on opening night in 1997, the Celtics improved
from 15 victories to 38. They ran, pressed and trapped.

"The first year was great, unbelievable," he said. "We were diving,
hustling and scrapping. But then came the lockout, a bunch of guys coming
in out of shape. And last season was not very pretty."

The struggles began soon after Pitino signed a $50 million deal to become
head coach and president of the Celtics. Boston had the greatest
statistical chance to land the No. 1 pick in the 1997 draft.

Yet like so many Celtic seasons since Bird, Kevin McHale and Robert Parish
retired, the Ping-Pong balls went awry. San Antonio won the draft lottery
and Tim Duncan, the Nets plucked Keith Van Horn at No. 2 and Boston settled
for the third and sixth picks, Chauncey Billups and Pitino's former
Kentucky player, Ron Mercer.

"I banked everything on the draft and Duncan and Van Horn," Pitino said.
"We wind up with 3 and 6. I'd like nothing better than to bring the glory
back, but it hasn't happened. I'd like to believe I've still done some good
things."

By virtue of Pitino-approved deals, the Celtics have three first-round
draft picks in 2001. The acquisition of Bryant Stith and the drafting of
Pierce have fortified a lineup that includes Walker, Anderson and some
decent role players.

"I like the team, they work very hard for me," he said. "Other than the
Chicago game, they've given me good effort. I think we have an
average-to-good team and a shot at beating any team on any night. But
because we've lost so many home games, we've got to do it on the road now.
And that's going to be tough."

He has a few regrets, including refusing to sign the 6-foot-1-inch David
Wesley to a multiyear deal when the point guard became a free agent after
the 1996-97 season. "Now with players like Allen Iverson and Jason Terry,
you can go small at the 1 spot," he said.

Pitino added, "One thing I try not to do is just base my experience on the
record. This has been a great experience for me. Even though I've never
lost in my life, I've learned about real adversity in this game.

"I also look at the people I've got to know, people like Red Auerbach, Bill
Russell, Tommy Heinsohn and Bob Cousy. Those relationships are a big part
of the experience."

Pitino's contract calls for him to remain as the coach for two more seasons
and as the team president for four more seasons. But many observers believe
he is already on his way out, especially if the losing continues.

"It's not the option I want," he said. "But then, people in this town don't
think I'm going to walk away from $22 million. Look, I'm going to be clear
about this: I would rather win and work for $20,000 than lose and make $22
million."