http://www.bostonherald.com/sport/basketball/celts12202000.htm

Bibby on C's radar: Guard might be available
by Mark Cofman
Wednesday, December 20, 2000

Although the Celtics have struck out in attempts to acquire Othello
Harrington from Vancouver, they'll likely be logging some additional
long-distance phone charges with the Grizzlies in the next few days.

This time, the focus would be on a bigger trade that involves point
guard Mike Bibby. Celtics coach Rick Pitino said he was aware of
published reports out of Vancouver the Grizzlies were shopping Bibby. If
that were the case, the Celtics not surprisingly would be among the
teams lining up for his services.

``If they were willing to trade Mike Bibby, then yes, we would be very
interested,'' Pitino said after practice yesterday at The Sports
Authority Center in Waltham. ``If that (report) is true, you're getting
a dominating-type point guard in your system for the next 10 years. But
again, that's conjecture whether (the rumors) are true and I don't want
to come off tampering.

``Sometimes with different teams - and I'm not necessarily talking about
Mike Bibby here - what's a frustration for one team may not be a
frustration for another. So certain trades are good.''

Translated, Pitino has heard that Vancouver coach Sidney Lowe is not
fully satisfied with Bibby's play. In effect, the Celtics would be
saying to the Grizzlies, ``If he's not making you happy, we wouldn't
mind taking him off your hands.''

Who would the Celtics give up for the third-year standout from Arizona?
Paul Pierce is far and away the Celtics' most desirable player in any
trade scenario because of his talent and budget-friendly contract. But
Pierce isn't going anywhere, which means the Celtics would likely dangle
their next-best asset - draft picks.

``It wouldn't be so much a major player for us (in a trade) as it would
be something to do with those picks,'' said Pitino, referring to the
Celtics' potential three No. 1 picks in the next draft. ``In that sense,
we have something that everybody wants right now.''

Pitino is on target there. This June's draft is expected to be one of
the best in the last two decades, with the long-range forecast for a dry
spell for many drafts. A number of teams are already trying to maneuver
their way into the first round, even if it means giving up proven NBA
talent and dropping a bit in the standings.

Celtics general manager Chris Wallace, player personnel director Leo
Papile and Pitino are fully aware they own attractive trump cards. At
the same time, draft picks are not going to do Pitino much good if he's
in a new place of employment next season. At this point, especially
given the Celtics' sorry situation at the point, Pitino and his staff
would have to be open-minded about moving one or more of those picks to
secure a player who can help immediately.

Pitino said as much in recalling the events leading up to the draft last
June. The Celtics were in hot pursuit of rising talent Jermaine O'Neal,
then with Portland. They tried to work a sign-and-trade agreement with
the Blazers for O'Neal right up until the draft began, but negotiations
broke down and they selected Jerome Moiso with the 11th overall pick.
O'Neal ended up with Indiana.

``I don't know how you all thought about it, but we talked about those
three draft picks for Jermaine O'Neal,'' said Pitino. ``I thought that
would have been a steal of a lifetime if we could have done that. I
think a lot of (the media) felt differently about it, but I thought it
would be a steal for us because you get a shot-blocking center who for
the next 10 years would start for you.''

Bibby has averaged 14.1 points and 7.5 assists during his three-year
career, with nearly identical numbers this season (14.5, 7.5).