Re: A quote for Mark Berry

----- Original Message -----
From: "OzerskyJA" <OzerskyJA@cmog.org>
To: <celtics@igtc.com>
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 3:51 PM
Subject: RE: A quote for Mark Berry

> It seems clear to me that Pitino is not thinking about
> the Jerome Williamses of the world when he talks about
> something major...I am wondering what Paul Pierce could
> bring us.  I don't think we should use his value to forcefeed
> Vitaly or Kenny to another team...I agree with Alex Wang
> (as usual) that clearing cap space is a fool's game for a team
> like us.  But who is available out there?  If it was somebody
> good enough, I would add a pick, although Paul Pierce at his
> current salary is a pretty valuable asset.  I am assuming that
> we can't get top five NBA player, or even a top ten NBA
> player, i.e. Duncan, Garnett, Shaq, Kobe, Iverson, Mourning,
> Jason Kidd, Gary Payton, Rasheed Wallace, CWebb, Tracy McGrady.  But what
> about the strata of players directly below -- Grant Hill, SAR,
> Marbury, Allen Houston, etc. us better?  Who is out there that would make
us
> better that  we could realistically get?
>
> Josh Ozersky

Only possibilities I can think of, and don't necessarily want to happen:

Mo Taylor - read a couple of columns which mention that he's not fitting in
Houston, although he's a FA at the end of the season again. David Aldridge
mention that Houston are high on PP to compliment Steve (Vancouver?)
Francis.

Derek Coleman - on the trading block, and eating donuts while he's there.
Hornets will dump him for anything. Possibly Vitaly for him? A once-talented
headcase, with a weight and attitude problem. Looked good when he first went
to Charlotte though. 5 mil a season will do that....(and no, please don't
flame, I don't want him either!)

Anthony Mason - wishful thinking on my part. Despite his off-court problems,
this guy (with the right coach) is as tough as they come. X taught him how
to play D, and that can't be bad. Likes to handle the rock more than Toine,
which is also a problem, but can play the 3 or 4, and played the 2 on
occasion in NY. Don't think Riley would consider anything we have short of
Pierce for him. Miami would have to throw in another decent player though
methinks.

Mutumbo - already discussed on this list. May take PP + pick for this one.
Gives Hawks another scorer who can play the 3, and the C's a real center.
C's would need to throw in a cap cancer or two, to make the salaries work
though. C's also take the risk that Mt Mutumbo walks (slowly) at the end of
the year.

Dale Davis - highly unlikely, but seeing that Dunleavy aint too happy with
the season thus far, and the Blazers are capped out until about 2030, Pierce
+ picks + cap cancer might do it. Vitaly may be attractive to them to
eventually replace Sabonis, or at least get Shawn Kemp in the gym, instead
of the buffet or the bedroom.

Sam Cassell - George Karl apparently "sick" of his team. Doubt they'd want
another swingman though, as they already have Tim Thomas playing behind
Glenn Robinson, and Lindsey Hunter backing up at the 1 & 2 spots. May take
Kenny + Battie for him though?

That's about all I can think of today....bleak looking list :{

Simon
Ulcerate - http://mp3.com/ulcerate