Re: Say "(Play) it again Sam"

    Nice post, Jim. I was thinking the same thing.  KC Jones was a
master of the "keep it simple stupid" principle. Of course he had the
best players in the world, but I get the feeling the current Celtics can
suffer from a type of information overload in practices and from the
sidelines. If I were in the same situation, I personally could easily
imagine how easy it would be to end up "thinking too much" on the court
instead of relaxing and focusing on the basics. But I'm not sure. Like
others have said, it is a pretty hard sell to argue that the Celtics
players are quite THAT stupid or secretly uncommitted to defense. If
that's really the case, then the two captains in particular are
incredibly gifted liars whenever they talk to the media. It's hard to
figure out what's going on. Even though my views have been clear on
this, I'm open to the idea that I'm wrong and that Pitino really is a
winning NBA coach saddled with bad listeners and bad talent.

    One thing about Pierce and Walker, the Pitino system in full bloom
isn't really meant for guys to play 39 or 40 minutes a game over 82
games. That, more than the legitimate number of disputable non-foul
calls on the offensive end, is probably a factor in why they may be
guilty of defensive lapses/laziness. In the case of Pierce, he's also
going up every night against a legitimate bumper crop of East Coast
scoring machines at the two and three spot.

    Gunning for his first All Star invitation, Pierce is actually the
sixth leading scorer in the East. Plus he has a great
comeback-from-the-stabbing-saga that is getting positive national
attention. Still I bet he has less than a 50-50 chance of making the All
Star Game unless the Celtics are over .500 at the break. You have
Stackhouse and Carter both averaging around 28ppg (what with Jamison, is
this the year for UNC alum or what!?). They are locks.

    Next you have Iverson a guaranteed All Star (along with Ratliff) and
McGrady both averaging higher numbers than Pierce. After that, a Hall of
Famer like Reggie Miller is having a fantastic all-around year
(including his highest scoring average since way back in 1990-91) joined
by three other 20ppg+ scorers in Ray Allen, Big Dog and Jamal Mashburn.
Those last three might not make the All Star team, but you have to
assume the Knicks leading scorer Allan Houston will get consideration.
Maybe Grant Hill too. I think the most likely scenario is Ray Allen
getting left out, because of his much publicized defensive indifference
this year and problems with George Karl. Most people outside Boston read
about Pierce being a pretty good and active defender, what with his
steals stats from last year.

    Miller, McGrady, Stackhouse, Houston and Carter are probably in and
this will be the great strength of the Eastern team. After those guys
Pierce has a shot. Antoine's numbers are good enough to make it, but
right now I feel he probably won't. I think most fans outside Boston
still view him as a guy who is almost certainly egotistical, selfish,
immature and low IQ.

    Elton Brand's scoring numbers are nowhere near as good at power
forward (and he's shooting a lame .432 on a pure diet of post moves) but
he could make it. Same deal with Brian Grant and his 17ppg. Bo Outlaw is
a strong possibility and would deserve it. Both he and Ratliff would be
popular choices and could actually help the East win. Marcus Camby is
almost certain to make it too (great stats, no center competition except
Ratliff and Jermaine O'Neal). If the Celtics are over .500, then Antoine
will be in the mix.

    One thing I found interesting while looking at the league player
stats is that you have five guys connected to Boston during the Pitino
era averaging around 17ppg or better (Pierce, Antoine, Billups, Mercer,
and Wesley). David Wesley, in fact, has the same scoring average
(18.6ppg) as Michael Finley and Steve Francis! There's no real meaning
or insight there. I just thought it was kind of interesting to wonder if
the Boston Celtics would have actually been better if Pitino had made
zero moves or trades over the past three years. Of course, this crazy
hypothetical scenario means we'd have Knight and DeClerq at center,
since the Battie trade would have to be excluded too.

    But the big point is we'd also have drafted Shawn Marion, who right
now is probably ahead of where Pippen was at the same stage and is far,
FAR more valuable than Pierce of Walker in the trade market. He's third
in rebounds (12.1) but he's also in the NBA top-twenty in blocks AND
steals, while gliding his way to 18.2ppg on .474 shooting and .804
freethrows. This guy might start in the All Star game. Awesome.

Joe

p.s. after reading that article, I view Randy Brown as a potential NBA
head coach within the next five years. He'll probably be named an
assistant coach somewhere the minute he retires.

----