Magic game

Although the players keep saying that they are still in the thick of the
things in the East, not beating the Magic at this point is just further
evidence that this team, the way it is presently constructed, just isn't very
good. There are some improvements over last year: the play of Stith, Walker
improved outside shooting, Randy Brown defense at the point guard position,
offensive maturation of Pierce, overall improvement of Battie. However, there
are also some areas where we have fallen: Walker's inability to get his shots
off of bigger players on the block, Pierce's lack of hustle and defense and
VP has deteriorated to Greg Kite thug status as his major contribution. I
don't need to play the rest of the games to know where this team is going to
fare: the same place as last year. They just can't make the defensive stops
when they need to. So they will always wilt in the fourth quarter. Walker and
Pierce are a splendid offensive combination. However, with their lack of
defense, the other three players have to be good all around players to make
up for them...I am glad some of the local writers and commentators are
starting to question the constant double teaming of the half court offense.
Sure it makes sense to double team certain players, all teams do it. However,
it is ridiculous to double team players who aren't a real offensive or
medicore threat. Last night, numerous times Walker had his oppenent sealed
off and leaning back and to see VP come running trying to set a trap. There
was no place for him to set up! Walker had him covered. He was looking to
pass. VP doesn't have any quickness to by the time he got into position to
attempt to put some pressure on, Outlaw or whoever passed out of it, they
reversed the ball and got a easy jumper. It is just madness. Why can't we
give up this "pressure" defense?....While I am ranting, VP has gotten
seriously bad. He is really hurting us when he is in there. Whatever he did
last summer, he shouldn't do again...Has anyone noticed how players just
waltz into the lane when you got Walker and VP (no shotblockers) in there? VP
was a mistake that was made when the league was into the thug stage. Let's
cut our losses and move on. Let's develop Blount who at least can run the
floor and block some shots. VP doesn't do anything....The Magic had read the
scouting report and was sagging on Brown and Overton. Brown stepped up and
was canning the shots but Overton, other than one three was very hesitant and
we lost the advantage of the reversal. Overton was better than that other guy
that we just had in here that starts with a B but not much more. This area
has been hurting the Cs....Let me ask you "Why does the Magic play with three
big guys--Amechi, Doleac and Outlaw."  Don't they know they can't do that?
Outlaw playing small forward? They better talk to Pitino and find out why
that won't work. Hopefully if they find out, they can tell us and why the C's
can't do it with Walker, Battie and VP...

DJessen33