Re: Would you do Walker for Mutombo

In a message dated 12/03/2000 5:16:51 PM Pacific Standard Time,
DJessen33@aol.com writes:

Would you do a Walker for Mutombo trade. A Williams, McCarty,  and Walker
trade for Mutombo works per Realgm. I think I would like a lineup of

1 Anderson
2 Stith
3 Pierce
4 Battie
5 Mutombo

What do you think?...

DJessen33

As much as I'd like to see Mutombo with the C's, would you trade Walker for a
guy that would only give you three, maybe four years (and in declining
productivy) at most?

The flip side to your proposed trade from Atlanta's perspective would be "Why
trade for Walker?
"  They already have Henderson at the PF spot and they'd
then be thin in the middle as Wright becomes the starting "5" with no backup
for him. They'd also face the same issue  the C's now face in that with
Walker on their roster, he'd have to play the "3" as Henderson can't play on
the wing or else Henderson would have to come off the bench. They wouldn't
have addressed their deficiencies at PG, either. If I'm Atlanta, I also want
at least one high draft pick in any deal from the C's.

If you're going to move Antoine, IMO you have to get somebody in return that
has a longer shelf life than what Deke has left. If the C's are determined to
trade Walker, I'd personally rather they try to pry Jermaine O'Neal away from
Indiana after AW's base year status is removed in January in a package that
also includes a first rounder from Indy coming back to the C's.  I'd then
dangle a couple of first rounders (the Indy and Utah picks) in front of
Minnesota and see if they'd consider trading Billups as he's locked down for
three years at a very cheap deal and Minnesota needs those picks. Billups
also didn't cost them anything to acquire in the first place. I'd designate
Billups the 6th man as instant offense off the bench.