Re: Pitino Quietly Confident

At 03:13 PM 8/20/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Pitino is quietly confident
>
>He'll keep optimism on Celtics to himself
>

>By Shira Springer, Globe Staff, 8/20/2000
>

>It may come as some relief that Celtics coach Rick Pitino will keep his
>optimism to himself this season. The promises are gone. The belief that
>better times and winning records await will be whispered privately. The
>late-season conviction that Boston can make the playoffs will be kept
>quiet. The rebuilding plans will be laid out behind closed doors.
>

>In this city, which Pitino very publicly chastised for its negativity,
>he realizes that the best comments are left unsaid.

What does he expect for his showings to date, accolades? His coaching
sucks, at least with this gang, and he can't recognize talent to the level
we thought. Witness the bungled trades and drafts. Boston, a small market
monetarily and mentally compared to NY and LA would do a Lewinsky on
Clinton for a winner.

>''I'm always very optimistic about things,'' said Pitino. ''Last year, I
>was optimistic and it backfired on me. In certain towns, it works. In
>this town, I think the best thing to do is go about your business and
>not be optimistic. If you are, be it to yourself.''
>

>But the clash of personalities between Pitino and Boston began before
>the Celtics posted a disappointing 35-47 record last season. When he was
>hired, Pitino had grand plans, plotting postseason appearances in his
>third and fourth seasons and championship-caliber play by his fifth and
>sixth. Near the end of his third season last March, Pitino said that if
>he couldn't turn it around in 2000-01 and make the playoffs, he would
>move on. With a young team he pieced together, Pitino believes it's
>easier to replace one part rather than several.

It would be easier to replace Pitino.

>He has no timetable for a turnaround, insisting three straight losing
>seasons and mounting criticism do not frustrate him. Still, the stakes
>for Pitino will be particularly high this season.

Oh how his tune has changed. He sounds like a snake oil salesman. Hey,
Gaston, expect more empty seats again this season.

>Pitino does not know what to expect, but he knows what he wants.
>Conditioning will be a priority. ''Home invincibility'' will be preached
>as the Celtics look for 28-32 wins at the FleetCenter. A road record
>better than last year's 9-32 will be a necessity. Players such as
>Antoine Walker, Paul Pierce, and Tony Battie will need to show more
>benefits of NBA experience and maturity.

Is he joking?

>These points are obvious. The question, as always, is whether the
>Celtics can accomplish the goals they set in the offseason. Pitino is,
>well, encouraged.
>

>Recent weeks of deal-making were never expected to net top-level talent,
>but Pitino likes what he picked up in the free agent market (point guard
>Randy Brown) and what he got in return for Danny Fortson (specifically a
>2001 first-round pick and point guard Robert Pack). He also likes the
>efforts returning players are putting into offseason training.

Oh yeah, conditioning, who wasn't hurt last season. The trainer would be
better off on commission than a salary.

>''What's going to make us win with young talent is conditioning,'' said
>Pitino. ''We're not going to do it with experience. We're not going to
>do it with knowledge. We're not going to do it with great execution
>because we're not old enough yet. What's going to do it with us is
>wearing people out and being physically in great shape and a style of
>play that causes turnovers. That's what we have to get back to.''

Rickky, this isn't college, God, is he taking this approach again? order an
extra MRI machine.

>According to Pitino, players expected to fill key roles on the squad
>have worked diligently this summer. Battie has received tutelage from
>Kiki Vandeweghe, and Walter McCarty has scheduled a few lessons with the
>former NBA forward. Battie may be ready for a breakthrough year and
>Pitino thinks he will compete hard to start at center. Vitaly Potapenko
>has been in the gym every day; Pitino said he's working ''as if it's a
>Rocky movie.'' Adrian Griffin has started running as he rehabilitates
>his ankle injury. Pierce foresees a breakout year for himself.
>

>Walker remains an enigma to Pitino, who expects the 24-year-old former
>All-Star to work toward the top of his game over the next four years.
>

>''The sky's the limit to how good he can become,'' said Pitino, ''but
>I'll reserve my judgment until I see him work out. Antoine's a bright
>ballplayer who has to now reach his potential.''
>

>The themes of training camp will be conditioning and competition. If the
>players don't arrive fit, preseason workouts might be torturous and the
>season won't take shape as expected. Pitino wants the players rounding
>into form by early September.

The players know Rickky, is full of dung, and will only humor him. Who's
willing to blow a knee for Rickky.?

>Members of the Celtics staff are in constant communication with the
>players to make sure that happens. Pitino believes he has the personnel
>to put forth a quick, athletic team.

Ummmm, must be calling Dunkin Donuts a lot.

>Subscribing to the belief that ''great competition makes a great camp,''
>Pitino hopes the additions of draft pick Jerome Moiso, Brown, and Pack
>will help raise the intensity the extra notch needed to produce a spot
>in the playoffs. (Keep in mind: The eighth playoff spot in the Eastern
>Conference last year went to Milwaukee, which had a 42-40 record. In the
>Western Conference, eighth-seeded Sacramento was 44-38.)
>

>Pitino believes he has ensured the Celtics' future, but it's uncertain
>how long he will coach the team. For better or worse, Boston has
>invested in first-round picks, believing the 2001 draft could be one of
>the best in the past decade. Without salary cap room any time soon, the
>brass has no other option than building through picks.

So we wait till 2001 now? I wouldn't let Pitino pick veggies in my garden.