NBA.Com Celtics Trade Feature

I found this at NBA.Com's Boston Celtics site.  It's pretty much a rehash of
the deal, but it really makes it clear that Fortson definitely was gong to
sign with the Knicks if it wasn't for the deal.

Josh

http://www.nba.com/celtics/trade_sidebar_000816.html
Celtics Upgrade

The Boston Celtics slipped away from the NBA's most complicated deal of the
summer with a clear and definite upgrade.

 Pack
When the four-team, nine player deal was completed on Wednesday afternoon,
Head Coach Rick Pitino and General Manager Chris Wallace announced from
their offices at the Sports Authority Training Center at HealthPoint that
Boston had acquired veteran guard Robert Pack from the Dallas Mavericks and
a 2001 first round pick from the Utah Jazz.

Also in the deal, Boston acquired John "Hot Rod" Williams and cash from the
Mavs. It appears likely that the forward will not suit up for the Celtics in
this coming season. Rather, the 38-year old veteran, who missed all of last
season with a back injury, was included in the deal to satisfy financial
considerations in the multi-team deal.

 Barros
To complete their end of the deal, the Celtics gave up free agent forward
Danny Fortson, who was sent to the Golden State Warriors in a sign and trade
deal, and veteran guard Dana Barros, who went to Dallas.

"We are very excited what this brings back to the Boston Celtics in terms of
future maneuverability of acquiring talent," said Wallace. "If you look at
the NBA landscape today, where virtually every team is over the cap, the
draft has become even more important than it has been in the past."

With the deal, Boston could potentially hold as many as three first round
picks in the 2001 NBA Draft. In addition to its own draft choice and now
Utah's, Boston possesses a first round pick from the Denver Nuggets,
acquired in a deal last season. Boston can opt to use the pick in 2001 if it
is not one of top five overall choices, in 2002, if it is not one of the
first three overall choices, in 2003, if it is not the first overall, or
finally in 2004, when the pick must be conveyed regardless of position.

 Wallace
"We are hoarding draft picks for the future," said Wallace. "Not just to
necessarily use and excersise on draft day, but to also give us more chips
to use in future transactions, possibly to move up in the draft or acquire a
veteran who can help us."

It was clear that Fortson did not have a future in Boston. He was looking
for a larger contract than the Celtics could offer, and, with the team's
leading scorer and rebounder - Antoine Walker - also playing the power
forward position, more minutes than the team could provide.

In a league in which salary cap considerations are paramount, the Celtics
chose a sound, calculated strategy - deal an unsignable player for a top
draft selection.

"We made Danny Fortson an offer, but it was nowhere near what he was looking
for," added Pitino. "Danny wants to start, and he realized with us he could
not start. He wanted a large contract, one that we could not afford. It
would have put us at the luxury tax, which we have to stay away from."

"If we did not consummate this transaction, Danny Fortson right now would be
down in New York at Madison Square Garden, where they would be holding a
press conference (introducing him as a Knick)," said Wallace. "We would have
gotten absolutely no compensation in return. We did not wan to see him down
to New York for nothing in return."

Although Barros did provide some spark off the bench last year, wear and
tear from a successful 11-year career did not allow him to be more than a
perimeter player last season. With Pack, the Celtics feel they have acquired
a player that can fill several holes. He has the ability to run the team on
the break, create his own shots and defend effectively. With the addition of
veteran point guard Randy Brown earlier in the month, the Celtics feel they
now have sufficient depth behind starting point guard Kenny Anderson, as
well added a much-needed dimension to its young roster - experience. Brown
and Pack have combined to play 18 years in the NBA.

"We feel we needed three point guards, and we have had three point guards
since we've been here," said Pitino. "The addition of Randy and Robert Pack
makes us deeper than we been at that position.

"What we looked at more than anything else in terms of adding to this
basketball team is that with Paul Pierce the last few years, was out with an
injury, we lost about 90 percent of our games. So, we have to create that
scoring if Paul Pierce is out with an injury. That is what we are looking a
here by acquiring another scorer.

"Dana Barros is coming into the last year of contract. There is no finer
place to be to become a wealthy young man than with the Dallas Mavericks.
So, this is a nice situation for Dana In the last year of his contact, if he
plays well for them, (Dallas owner) Mark Cuban is someone who rewards his
athletes very well."