Re: Latest on C's Fortson - 4 Team Deal

Francis Hsu wrote:

> If Marshall is this good, why would Golden State want to trade him for
> Fortson?  Maybe Fortson can get a couple of more rebounds a game, but
> 10 per game is not bad!?

Hi Francis

    That's a good question. Overall, I think such a trade scenario sounds as
much worth considering as the other reported 4-team deal.

    As Warwick says, I guess the answer to your question is that Donyell
Marshall shot a Waltah-esque .394 from the field while happily jacking up
over 13 shots per game last year. He is a 6-9 small forward who will take
away minutes mainly from Waltah and Eric Williams. All three our small
forward career brick layers who aren't too good at passing, which is hardly
ideal for a playoff-hopeful team. If Antoine Walker can't start there, I'd
personally like Griffin or Pierce there rather those guys no matter how much
money they collectively earn.

    Having said this, in many ways the 27-year-old Marshall showed
statistically that he has or is about to turn a corner. Even though he
averaged more than three fewer minutes per game than in '97-98, Marshall
easily established career highs in rebounds at 10.0 (previous high 8.6),
assists at 2.6 (over 2.2 high and just 1.4 last year), FT% (a rock solid .780
on a career high 255 attempts). He also averaged more than one steal and one
block per game. All those numbers are solid. If Boston is going to jetison a
top rebounder then they might be in serious trouble if they don't get a good
rebounder in return, which Marshall clearly is.

    In many ways Marshall seems like the classic Pitino-style player. He
jacks up a high number of three pointers (more than two a game), shoots an
embarrassingly low FG percentage (career .405FG%), averages nearly as many
turnovers as assists etc.

   Marshall had a fabled college mid-90s career just like last year's signee
Cal Cheaney. But at least his career is more or less on a positive trajectory
rather than regressing.

    I haven't watched him play much as pro. I think Peter Delevett is from
the bay area and cover the Warriors. Maybe he may have a more informed
opinion.  I'm basing my opinion almost entirely on stats.

Joe

---------