Re: Peter May On Fortson & Blount

> To me, the relevant questions for next season are:
>
> 1) Can Pitino's defense ever work at the NBA level, especially now that
> every opponent is used to it? Ideally, next season we'll see a similar
> athleticism on defense as his exciting and entertaining first year team,
but
> with a lot more firepower on offense. In the worst case, Pitino's
> "poultry-in-motion" defense will continue its marked decline in
> effectiveness with each passing season. From the rest of the league's
> perspective, familiarity just breeds contempt of the Boston defense.

Good post overall, Joe.

I've always wondered about Pitino's defense.  We always seem to give up the
most shots, and points, and this condition has not improved AT ALL in the
past three years.  Any now, the C's are going BACK to it this year?

I've also wondered, is Pitino's "super-athleticism" system responsible for
the seemingly annual February/March swoon the team team goes through?  I
know it happened in Feb. in either Pitino's first or second year.  And then
last year, it was a ten-game slide in March that killed the Cs, right after
they had pulled into the playoff race.  Does Pitino's system simply wear out
its own players by the time the stretch run arrives?  Inquiring minds want
to know.
-d