Latest Prep Bigman Phenom

    Since there is nothing much to chat about right now, here is some
more hype on yet another rising prep big man from the class of 2001,
courtesy of the Bob Gibbons Website. Deng Kai is already 19 and could
develop into a future Celtics draft pick if Pitino doesn't squander our
first round picks out of a sense of desperation.

----------

"Playing for the Jersey Shore Cyclones, a team consisting of mostly
marginal collegiate level players, 6'10 230 lbs. phenom Deng Gai from
the Sudan had his coming out party this evening in Teaneck, NJ.

Gai is the cousin of University of Connecticut standout Ajou Ajou Deng,
and although he is currently living with his uncle in Long Branch, NJ,
he will reportedly attend the Milford School in Connecticut this fall.

Norm Eavenson, who is not usually one to throw around hyperbole, stated,
"We may have witnessed the breakout party for possibly the best player
in the class. I don't know if I've ever seen anyone for the first time
that was that good. Alonzo Mourning comes to mind, but I don't want to
make those kinds of comparisons just yet."

Norm's been in the business for 15 years, working more than 10 years for
Bob Gibbons All Star Scouting Service. He is one of the nation's most
respected scouts amongst college coaches.

"It was almost surreal. The kid really understands the game. He was out
there directing his teammates and setting picks. He knocks down the
short baseline jumper as well as the 10' face. He had a hook shot and
made a nice reverse layup. The high major schools in attendance got a
major treat, and a leg up on the people that weren't there.... Other
than Tyson Chandler, I don't think there's a player in the nation that
stacks up against him. He's still got his rough edges as far as timing
goes, but he also timed a lot of plays correctly.... He really busts his
ass out there, too.... It was like watching a pro."

He told us that Deng has a "condor" wingspan, and plays with plenty of
bounce. He swats everything, and seems to still be getting his timing
down, since this is the first time he's ever played in the United
States. On one play he swept the ball off the rim and hung in the air
twisting for a reverse jam, according to Eavenson."