Overreactions

The way some people on this list freak out based on the latest
rumor amazes me. Is it so difficult to wait until an actual deal
happens before jumping to conclusions? I remember last year when
we were supposedly going to deal Mercer for Samaki Walker and
people were cursing in disgust. When the actual deal went down,
we were mostly pleased (although it ended up being disappointing
in hindsight).

Now let's look more closely at this Potapenko for Wahad deal: One
of the reasons that the Clippers were involved in the three-way
trade was that there are base-year compensation issues with a
sign-and-trade involving Wahad. A straight up deal with Potapenko
and Wahad just doesn't work under base year compensation rules.
I believe that Potapenko is a base-year player himself, causing
further difficulties. So there have to be a significant number of
additional salaries involved, or a third party. Who knows, maybe
the Nuggets realize that playing LaFrentz at center isn't going to
work in the Western Conference and he's part of the package since
they already have McDyess at 4. I doubt it but until an actual deal
happens, it's about as likely as some wretched deal in a Denver paper.

Alex