Fortson won't sign for exception

This is good news, so that probably means the Celts will get atleast
something for him.

Josh

Foyle, Fortson at Forefront of Warriors' Plans

Brad Weinstein, Chronicle Staff Writer    Tuesday, August 1, 2000

----

The talk that dominated the past month will be accompanied by action
beginning today when NBA teams officially can start signing free agents and
announcing trades.

The Warriors hope to be involved in what should be a league- wide flurry of
activity during the next week or two by fulfilling their two main
objectives: re-signing Adonal Foyle and homing in on a deal for free-agent
power forward Danny Fortson.

The former is less complicated because Foyle has expressed a desire to
return, and the Warriors can exceed the salary cap, if necessary, to lock up
the free-agent center. The Warriors currently do not have a viable backup
for Erick Dampier, who is coming off a season shortened to 21 games by knee
and wrist surgeries.

``We sure are working hard to bring him back,'' St. Jean said, adding that
he has shared ``positive dialogue'' with Foyle's representatives.

Neither Foyle, who is in the Bahamas, nor his agent, Curtis Polk, could be
reached for comment yesterday.

St. Jean spoke cryptically about Fortson, who played this past season with
the Boston Celtics, and declined to answer specific questions about him. The
Warriors have courted Fortson, 24, and made considerable inroads when he
visited the Bay Area two weeks ago. According to a league source speaking on
the condition of anonymity, Fortson was at first indifferent about even
meeting with the Warriors, but he took an immediate liking to St. Jean and
was impressed with the team's presentation.

``The exercise has been very positive for the organization,'' St. Jean said.
``But the fact is you have to get that end result. . . . If we get to a
point where we have a new Warrior, we'll have more to talk about. We have
everything in perspective. We have a Plan A, B and C in this process.''

St. Jean did say that nabbing a player through a three-team sign- and-trade
deal -- the likely means to getting Fortson -- is a realistic option for the
Warriors, who only have their $2.25 million and $1.2 million exceptions to
offer directly to free agents.

``Yes, it's challenging, but it can be done,'' St. Jean said. ``I sure would
like to be included in that history page.''

A source confirmed last week that one deal, among others, being mentioned
would send the Warriors' Vinny Del Negro to Boston, a re-signed Fortson to
Golden State and the Warriors' Terry Cummings plus a draft pick (most likely
a second-round selection) to the Chicago Bulls. By moving Del Negro and
Cummings, the Warriors would clear enough room under the salary cap -- which
will rise from $34 million to $35.5 million for the 2000-01 season -- to
take on Fortson's new contract.

Meanwhile, Fortson's agent dismissed a published report from a New York
newspaper that his client would accept the Warriors' mid-level exception of
$2.25 million.

reiterated there was ``no chance whatsoever'' that Fortson would sign for
that amount, indicating Fortson would rather take more money and go back to
Boston if no sign-and-trade deals were struck.

The contenders for Fortson have remained the same. The Orlando Magic are
believed to be pursuing either Fortson or Los Angeles Clippers free-agent
power forward Maurice Taylor, dangling forwards Matt Harpring and Pat
Garrity in potential sign-and-trade arrangements. The New York Knicks also
are interested in adding Fortson and are looking to unload reserve point
guard Chris Childs.

Fortson said last weekend that he would have ``no problem at all'' if the
Warriors worked out a way to acquire him.

``It's still one of the places I'm definitely considering,'' Fortson said.
``I'm just going to take my time with this because it's an important
decision I have to make. I want to look at all the options before deciding
anything.''