Holley Lama On The New Toine

Sis Boom Rah....

Walker has outgrown the kid stuff

By Michael Holley, Globe Columnist, 4/25/2000

Antoine Walker has lived here for parts of four years. Some of his
rituals are the same now as they were when he first arrived in Boston as
a 19-year-old Celtics draft pick.

He still goes to Sunshine Car Wash in Watertown and talks hoops with DJ,
the owner. He still goes to a Boston barber named Drew when he needs a
haircut. He still chooses Claudio to clean his Waltham home. And his
accent still is strong enough that ''Where are you from?'' qualifies as
a silly question. You listen to him speak and you immediately visualize
a neighborhood in the South Side of Chicago.

But one thing has changed. It's as obvious as Walker's accent. You'll
see it when (if?) he returns to the Celtics next season: The 23-year-old
kid is no longer a kid.

You're more likely to see a mummy wiggle before Walker does again. He
says he's watching the NBA playoffs so he can learn how the game changes
in the postseason. He is working with city youths, and will bring a
free, three-day basketball camp here in August. As for his game, if you
thought he took too many 3-pointers (285) last season, he agrees with
you.

''I shot about 100 more than I should have,'' he said yesterday. ''I was
decent on the three in '99. But last year, I just shot bad. No excuses.
I need to improve my shot.''

No professional athlete in the city generates as much commentary as
Walker does. It's impossible to be neutral on him. Some love him. Some
talk about him as if he were a menace to the UN. He says he has had no
problems with fans when socializing in Greater Boston, but there are
those who watched the games and didn't like his vibes.

Part of it, I think, comes from intensity. Most nights, he wants to win
more than anyone on the court. Sometimes his competitive rage makes him
appear to be a jerk, which he isn't. I think a lot of fans would be
shocked if they actually talked with Walker The Person, who is often
shrouded by Walker The Evil Caricature.

''I understand how that works,'' he said. ''There's been some negative
things said and written about me in the media. That's how a lot of
people form their opinions, from the press. But when I've been out -
going to the store or whatever - people here have always treated me
well. If I were from out of town, came here and read the paper, I might
believe what was written, too.''

What he doesn't mention is that he handles criticism better than anyone
in the organization, his head coach and owner included. That's ironic
because it was his coach, Rick Pitino, who taught him how to deal with
constant critiques.

''When I was at Kentucky, Coach Pitino criticized me almost every day,''
he said. ''I was 17, 18 years old and I thought, `He doesn't like me;
there's no way he likes me.' There were so many times I wanted to leave.
But it was all constructive, you know? I had some bad habits when I got
to college. You can't be babied all the time; constructive criticism is
good. I'm glad Coach treated me like that.''

It seems that there are Walker critics throughout the region, stationed
like sentries. The team's captain disputes that. Outside of the
FleetCenter, he said, it is much more common to meet fans like DJ.

''He loves talking the game,'' Walker said with a laugh. ''Every time I
see him, he'll have something new. Sometimes it's `We've got to get a
shot-blocking center.' Or it's `We've got to keep [Adrian] Griffin; I
like Griffin.'''

Walker saw DJ yesterday in Watertown. After leaving the car wash, he
dealt with other errands. One of the items on his ''To Do'' list was
facilitating a meeting for his 8 Foundation. He was nearly giddy when he
retold the story of a group of Boston eighth graders who took a $5,000
grant from his Real Deal program, split half the money with a nursing
home, bought themselves caps and gowns ''and still had money left to
spend. Kids like that keep the program going.''

He said his mother, Diane, is the foundation's inspiration. She was a
single parent who didn't have a lot of money, so he wants to help others
in a similar position.

''I'm only 23 now,'' he said, ''but I was forced to grow up fast. I had
a lot of responsibility. But, man, there's still a lot I don't know. And
there's a lot I'm still learning. I'm not just talking about basketball.
I'm talking about things in life, too.''

He has heard some fans rap him for his ''lack of maturity,'' a label
that baffles him.

''That's hard to say,'' he said. ''How can a person say that? I'm in
control of $95 million to $100 million totally. I make sure my family
eats. I'm not in the papers all the time, making trouble. I know how to
hold a decent conversation. I know how to dress. I know how to speak in
public. Why am I immature? Because I shoot a three instead of driving to
the basket? I think you have to look at the larger picture before you
can call a person immature.

''When I first got into the league, yeah, I was immature. But I think
I've learned a lot since then.''

Shortly after saying that, he mentioned that Michael Jordan was 28 when
he won his first title. He also said that he wants to be mentioned as
one of the greatest players in the game when he retires.

''I may not get there,'' he said, ''but that's what I want. I'm not
content with my game. I know I have a lot of work to do. I also know
luck is part of it. Look at Charles Barkley. One of the best to ever
play the game. But he won't get the credit he deserves because he didn't
win a championship.''

Walker begins to talk about how his defense needs to improve, how he
likes the trio of himself, Kenny Anderson, and Paul Pierce, and how he
understands what it means to be a Celtic. But I think this calmness with
which he now speaks can be attributed to a 5-year-old girl. She is
Crystal Walker, his daughter.

''I don't see her seven months out of the year, so when I do sometimes
it gets to the point where I want to spoil her,'' he said. ''You know,
give her everything. But that's not the smartest thing to do. Man, I
love watching her grow up. She always surprises me.

''We played at Milwaukee during the season, so I had a chance to go home
real fast and see her. We went to the store, and when I got there, she
didn't want me to get out of the car. I said, `Why not?' She said,
`They're going to ask for your autograph.' She said it just like that.
It was so funny. It's amazing listening to kids sometimes.''

You're a Celtics fan. If it's not apparent now, it will be soon enough:
You're going to like this Antoine Walker.

This story ran on page F01 of the Boston Globe on 4/25/2000.
© Copyright 2000 Globe Newspaper Company.