Re: Holley Lama: "Bird Thing A Possibility"

I'm not an apologist for Rick Pitino, but I am really sick of these
sweeping statements made by the "so-called" journalists.  Paul gaston is
not having any trouble selling tickets to the Celtics.  Anyone who watched
the games on Fox New England knows that they played to big and vociferous
audiences, even after they were eliminated from the playoffs.  By
contrast, the games played in Milwaukee and Detroit (two of the playoff
teams) seemed like they were being played in mausoleums.  Attendance is
not a problem for the Cs at this time, no matter how much Holley would
like it to be.

On Mon, 24 Apr 2000, Way Of The Ray wrote:

> The Holley Lama was on Channel 7 in Boston tonight and said that
> it's very bleak for the Celtics next season. The only hope for
> Gaston (in terms of selling season ticket packages) and the fans
> is if Bird buys the team or returns to the organization.
>
> Holley said the "Bird thing is a possibility" because Larry is
> leaving the Pacers, loves Boston, and wants to rebuild a team
> from scratch. Holley says he know Bird would like to buy the
> Celtics...
>
> Other things the Holley Lama said were that Pitino doesn't take
> criticism well and that he really hasn't been scoured by the
> media in Boston yet, as Holley cited the example of Pete Carroll
> as someone who took much more media abuse. Holley also
> mentioned Pitino calling Jackie MacMullan a liar,
> in reference to her reportage of Pitino receiving a
> $50,000 fee for a speech he madein Lexington.
> Holley said MacMullan is one of the most honest
> and respected reporters around, and was just reporting the
> truth.
>
> Holley added that any other coach who had compiled Pitino's Celtic's
> record would probably have been fired, but Il Duce's $7 million a
> year salary is keeping him around.
> Ray `

	  Dave Wickerham
	  aw623@freenet.buffalo.edu