Re: College rumors tick Rick

>From: kevin <kevin.lok@lycosmail.com>
>
>why can't Rick just say "no, those rumours aren't true" period? He got to
>add (spin) "This is to the point where it hurts more than me. It hurts
>people at schools who are well-respected and who I respect."
>Clintonesque? I believe he's gone, once a good opening comes, he's gone.

Actually channel 7 ran a story a couple of days ago saying that Pitino had
talked to North Carolina and Kentucky about jobs.  They trailed it heavily
going into a break with clips like, "Is Rick Pitino leaving the Celtics?
Stick with us after the break to find out".  They end up spending, I don't
know, two or three minutes talking about annonymous sources and supposed
interviews that have taken place and then, at the end, for no more than 5
seconds, put up a quote from Pitino which said, "those rumors are 1000%
false.  There is not even 1/10th of a percent of truth in them".  But it
made me, and a few other people, hang around to watch what they had to say,
so that makes it good journalism.  It's like those reports you see trailed
before the news, "Find out what every day household product could be lethal
to YOUR CHILDREN!".  So thousands of frantic mommies stay up until 11:28
(they always put these things on at the end of the news) to find out that
one in ten million children has a potentially fatal allergy to mayonaise, or
something stupid like that.

The problem with expecting someone to deny every rumor out there is that,
once you get into that game, you have to answer everything.  If you've been
denying things for weeks and just get sick of people making stuff up, or
perhaps you're actually offended by some of the stuff being said and don't
want to dignify it with a response, people will take your non-denial as
confirmation.  If I were you, I would stop being disappointed with the
people who don't deny every rumor, and just ignore the rumors to begin with.
  More likely, though, eventually one of these rumors will end up being
true, and that's all anyone will remember.

Jim