Re:

Mark Estepp wrote:

> By Ian Browne
> SportsLine Staff Writer
> It's amazing that all of these great basketball minds could escape the land
> where their reputations were built. But then again, a lot of amazing things
> --not many of them good -- have happened since Chairman of the Board Paul
> Gaston was given control of the team by his father, Don in 1992.
> ====
>
> Both of these were great articles, well written and balanced.  The only
> thing not mentioned that I think deserves to be mentioned in Pitino's
> defense is that he inherited such a pitiful, contract-locked team.  Of
> course, he has not helped himself out by making a ton of bad trades/picks
> on his own...
>
> But back to the paragraph clipped out of the article above.  This to me is
> really the central issue in the downfall of the C's.  How can you let guys
> who love the C's go other places and become successful?  Can you imagine
> how much better the teams relationship with the local press and the fans
> would be if Danny, Larry, or Kevin (or Chief or DJ or Cowens) were involved?
>
> I believe Pitino made a huge mistake surrounding himself with all those
> young guys in suits I see during timeouts (who ARE those guys?) instead of
> bringing in DJ to coach his guards, and a big man (Cowens? Russell?) to
> coach his big guys.

That's a tough call. I'd admit Les Conner and Andy Enfield (two totally
non-Kentucky-related hirings) don't have the stature of a DJ or Ainge, much less
Bird. On the other hand, I can understand why Rick Pitino would bring in his own
staff to teach his style of basketball, and to assure everyone is on the same
page.  Basically all successful head pro coaches come to town with their own
staff. The ones that don't do this usually seem to end up failing (it's not like
Russell, Cowens, Bird don't have big egos). It's one of those things I don't
hold against Pitino or any qualified head coach.

Personally, I'm happy that so many of the 80s Celtics are already making a name
for themselves in NBA coaching and management, just like Celts players from the
earlier dynasty (Tom Heinsohn, Sam Jones, KC Jones, John Thompson....). It shows
you they were not just exceptional basketball players, but a lot smarter than
they may have seemed.

After all, what are Kurt Rambis, Michael Cooper, Magic, Kareem and Worthy doing
these days in and around La La Land? I never thought Ainge would be such a
successful NBA coach. I thought even as a coach, his players would eventually
start picking on him or something.

Joe