Pitino and Rome

Caught the interview and the Rickster had this to say:

He has a PHD.  He's poor, hungry and driven.  He has no intention of
abandoning the ship and intends to honor his contract which is for 6 years.

He will go down fighting trying to bring a championship to Boston.  When
asked by Rome about his 3 year plan to make the playoffs, RP said that the
organization thought they were going to be in a position to draft Duncan
and/or Van Horn.  Not getting either was a setback.  But he firmly believes
they will make it to the postseason this year and will be in the
championship round within the next couple. ( I must state that this
interview was conducted prior to the Mercer trade.)

Speaking of Mercer, RP said that a minimum of 15 teams have called
expressing strong interest in him.  He said that his preference was not to
deal him, and that he sat down with Ron to discuss his contract situation.
Mercer wanted to make a strong deal for himself, and therefore, the team had
to look at other avenues.

Rome asked about the selfishness of Toine and Ron.  RP flatly stated that
they were a bit too interested in their own personal agenda.  He said the
"Bill Russell days are gone."  He then lauded Russell for his address to the
team last season.  Russell said that, BY FAR, his greatest disappointment
was when he got injured which he felt prevented the C's from winning a 12th
World Title.  He said what the young guys today don't realize is that if
they put the team first, their individual needs get taken care of.

He also said that Toine loves to play.  He would play in pickup games all
day because he wants to win very badly and wants to do well here in Boston.
He said he is a real team player and very competitive.  What he needs to do
now is to get him cut and decrease his body fat.  And it's his job, as
coach, to show him how to get there.  Instead of an ego, they all need to
develop a TEAM EGO.

Cecil

My ICQ# is 12716333
Page me online through my Personal Communication Center:
http://wwp.mirabilis.com/12716333 (go there and try it!)
Send me E-mail Express directly to my computer screen
12716333@pager.mirabilis.com