Take 2: Peter May (TSN) on Wayne Turner; Players Playing in Different Positions....

Way Of The Ray wrote:

> Kenny Anderson critical of Mercer's salary demands; Peter May saying
> nice things about Wayne Turner...

      Boston Celtics
      Team Report posted SEPTEMBER 18, 1999

      By TSN correspondent
      Peter May
      Boston Globe
      Kenny Anderson doesn't see what the fuss is all about. The way he looks at
      it, the trading of Ron Mercer means the Celtics have a different face in
      the starting lineup. Never mind that there likely will be three players at
      different positions this season.
      Anderson's backcourt mate likely will be Paul Pierce, who played small
      forward last season. The team feels Pierce can make the transition to the
      backcourt based partly on what he did in the California Summer League.
      Pierce played five games against CBA competition and played well.
      Up front, Antoine Walker moves from power forward to small forward and
      Danny Fortson takes over Walker's old spot. Vitaly Potapenko is the
      center.
      What this means is that Anderson is the only player on the team who will
      be starting at the same position from a year ago.
      "Yeah, that's hard, but this is a business," Anderson says. "You've got to
      play past the BS and come to camp. My main thing is to stay injury free.
      That's why the upcoming year is so important to me. I have to get my legs
      strong, my hamstring, and not worry about who's coming in. Just play."
      Anderson doesn't feel Mercer's loss is a major setback. "We got one guy
      leaving. I think we'll be all right," Anderson says. "All the great teams
      that do well, they stay together for five or six years. So if you think
      you can get something accomplished by making changes, then do it. The guy
      (Mercer) was asking for X amount of money and didn't do, you know, X
      amount of work. It's kind of strange."
      PLAYER ANALYSIS
      One of the problems for any Celtic newcomer is getting adjusted to the
      city's weather and crazy drivers. That won't be a problem for Wayne
      Turner. The free-agent point guard grew up in Boston, went to prep school
      in nearby Chestnut Hill and happens to be familiar with coach Rick Pitino,
      who had him at Kentucky for two years. Turner is No. 3 on the point-guard
      depth chart, but almost everyone plays in Pitino's system and no one knows
      it better than Turner. He didn't get drafted for one reason: his outside
      shooting. If Turner can upgrade that part of his game, he could be a
      keeper because he does everything else well.
      Pitino won't hesitate to use him when his trapping/pressing unit is on the
      floor. Turner can defend and he has a pass-first mentality. His shooting
      percentage at Kentucky wasn't bad, but that was because of his ability to
      penetrate and get easy baskets.
      WHAT'S NEXT
      The Celtics still have 15 players under contract and will likely keep it
      there. Second round pick Kris Clack is not coming to camp; he wasn't
      impressive enough to merit an invitation. The team will have its media day
      on October 4 and start practicing that night. The players had better come
      to camp in shape because Pitino is merciless with conditioning.

      Privacy Policy. © 1999 Times Mirror Interzines, a division of Times Mirror
      Magazines.