Re: URL: Clippers May Move Taylor (Time For Another Celtics Trade)

Way Of The Ray wrote:

> http://www.ptconnect.com/sports/stories/990908/sclips.stm
>
> Good news for the Celtics, since David Falk may be called upon to
> broker the deal. Taylor provides the C's with the low post offensive
> presence, they currently lack.

Way, fill me in on this "good news". Why do you suppose Pitino would
decide now to meet Falk's 70.9 million contract demand for Maurice
Tayler, especially after he averaged a career high 5.3 rebounds in 32+
minutes and tailed off to .461FG shooting for the season? The Celts
statistically stand to gain 250% more rebounds by giving those valuable
power forward minutes to Danny Fortson. Mo Taylor may be comparatively
one heck of a smooth West Coast "power fairie" low-post scorer, but
consistent rebounding is a prerequisite for that position whereas
low-post moves represent a nice bonus. It's NEVER the other way around
(at least for clubs that want to be among the top 28 teams). Taylor's
ballyhooed big rebounding night (20 against the Grizzlies) illustrates
just how inconsistently and indifferently he played for the bulk of the
short season.

For me this situation kind of demonstrates that Master P isn't the only
negotiator getting his clients alienated by making unrealistic and silly
contract demands. For example, the key differences I see between Taylor
and Gary Trent is that GT averaged respectable rebounding numbers (7.8)
in fewer minutes and (I would say not coincidentally) played for a more
successful team. He also shot .477 from the field in getting his 16 ppg.
Trent was a true 1999 free agent who theoretically should have had a lot
more negotiating leverage than 70-million-dollar-man wannabe's like
Derek Anderson, Ron Mercer, Mo Taylor.