re: Bird vs Walker

Don't forget that Bird made all his teammates better. Which has not yet been
the case with Walker. Plus Bird's work ethic was different.
The respect of the league (with the exception of that point guard from the
Pistons) say's a lot about Bird as a basketball player as well.

That said... to compare the two players isn't fair.  I think everyone would be
pleased to see Walker be the best Walker can be.  If everyone didn't think he
could be great or at least better then he has shown, we wouldn't be having
this thread.

As regards the statement that "winning forgives all".  Why isn't Rodman signed
to a team?

<Jim

-Jamey stated:

Joe and co.,

it's easy to get caught up in comparing Walker and Bird, and then
comparing the fan and media's treatment of them.

But IMO, there's only 1 reason why Bird was treated as a king, and Walker is
thrown to the wolves.

Bird's teams won, right from the beginning.

Walker's teams have never made the playoffs.

Granted Bird had lots of help, and it doesn't explain the good son/bad son of
Mercer vs. Walker, but I gotta believe, if Bird's teams had sucked until 1985,
he would've been crucified as well as a no-good hick that should be packed off
to his farm in Indiana.  All kinds of sordid stories would have been printed
about Bird, Parish, and eventually Johnson, if they lost, and lost often.

Winning forgives all.

-Jamey