Re: Celtics Past: 1994

Wonderful post, IMO, Dan and a pleasure to read....really.  Everytime I
reevaluate my Celts-junkie lifestyle (it can come at the expense of family,
career and other more respectable pursuits), I discover there are other people
out there who seemingly share my conclusion that our Celtics stand for some
things worth rooting for (tradition, history, teamwork, color blindness,
innovation etc.) and that fellow Boston fans are the best company to keep. But
ONLY on this list will you find people who readily admit to reading entire
archives from (of all things) the 1994 Celtics season. That's something I
thought only warped people like me were capable of. :-)

Actually, I have to admit I've also reread a few dozen posts from the 15-win
season. That's how I discovered I was hardly the first and certainly not the
most effective Antoine Walker supporter to join this list (people like Patrick
Goggin and others were doing it since Walker's rookie year). There are some
quality posts from back then, coming from people who for whatever reason have
since gone almost entirely into lurk mode (probably for the sake of family,
career and respectable pursuits). But maybe that's also partly the fault of
relative newbies like me who try to bully people (for example, by employing my
patented "race card") to control the agenda.

Of course, people are welcome to continue debating whether our expectations of
how acceptable black athletes are superficially supposed to behave in Boston
(ideally "modest" and "humble" like Ron Mercer) don't ultimately affect fan
impressions about their actual value to a team (Ron Mercer naturally "didn't
need to be in the spotlight" even while leading the team in shot attempts and
missed shots after the winning February without him). How many times have we
held up Mercer as an "Anti-Toine" figure for coming into camp in GREAT shape
and even calling on his teammates to practice for two straight days during the
lockout? If Antoine (not coincidentally called the "best-conditioned athlete"
in training camp the year before) had done a similar thing prior to his own
contract extension season, many would have described it as a cheap,
self-serving and meaningless publicity stunt (which may explain why basically
no-one showed up for Mercer's last second entreaties). And if Antoine were
accused of participating in any kind of gang rape incident, he would not get
off as easily as Ron Mercer has in the eyes of his fans. You'd hear some "I
told you so's" and "I knew there was something (criminal) about him" and "They
need to set an example by following through and prosecuting him to the full
extent of the law".

I know why I keep making a big deal out of this. I find it deeply disengenous
for people to suggest that "ethnic" mannerisms Walker just happened to grow up
with hasn't caused certain fans and writers to read bad things into his
overall game and character. This is unfair.  Listen to the kid talk. Listen to
what he actually says and the sound of his voice (soft, serious, answers
questions with specifics, rarely throws out sports clichés). Then maybe ask
yourself how patently "selfish" it is to cut your shot selection to 15.6 per
game after February, rebuild your freethrow technique from scratch even if it
leads to disastrous results at first (for Potapenko and half the roster as
well), make turnovers off the dribble a rare occurance, stop getting technical
fouls even if you feel the white refs continue to let you get clobbered, rush
back from injury just to play in a few more meaningless games, or lead your
team by far in rebounding every season. I don't know how to verify it, but I
wouldn't be surprised if "selfish" Antoine still holds the highest assist
total (13) in a single game of any Celtic in the past three seasons, not to
mention his triple-doubles and so far amazing success rate on last-second,
game-winning shots.

Next season, if Rick Pitino persistently "reminds" Antoine before every single
game that he'll need to produce at least 6 assists or 10 rebounds to avoid
getting benched, not only will Antoine make the All Star team (even averaging
say 16ppg) but the Celtics will win 55+ games and blow away Miami, Indiana,
and the Knicks in the playoffs through sheer talent and our certifiable mean
streak (Fort and Battleship). My point is that Antoine is a freak. He can
actually eventually average 6 assists and 10+ rebounds over 82 games,
something only one NBA forward, guard or center per every decade or so (a
championship player, in other words) has the innate talent to do. We need to
quit pretending AW's just another designated scorer...just another member of
our "big three" or "big two" or whatever we call it. Although he may never be
as controlled a player as Paul Pierce (the "ice" alongside Antoine's "fire"),
there is no comparing the two in terms of talent either potential and actual.
So just quit it.  The kid more or less fell by the grace of God into our laps,
and we're dumb enough and hateful enough to drive him out of town before he
reach's Larry Bird's rookie age. Basically, it's hard not to conclude that
Boston fans tend to feel uncomfortable around (or rooting for) "those kinds of
black people". We should get whatever we deserve.

Go Celts!

Joe