Donnie Walsh Says Its Bird's Call

      Boston Herald

      Last word must come from Bird
      by Mark Cofman
      Thursday, September 2, 1999
      Indiana Pacers president Donnie Walsh was aware of Larry Bird's heart
      condition when he hired him as head coach two years ago. Walsh also knew
      the ex-Celtics great did not plan to stay in coaching for the long haul.
      But public revelations by Bird this week that he takes medication for
      atrial fibrillation and that he would step down as Pacers coach after the
      season have not changed Walsh's outlook on the matter.
      Walsh remains optimistic Bird will reconsider and sign a new contract with
      the team by season's end.
      ``I haven't taken anything said (yesterday) or (Tuesday) as any kind of
      official statement Larry isn't going to coach after next year,'' Walsh
      said in a phone interview yesterday. ``Basically, I think at some point
      during this season we'll sit down and he'll tell me whether or not he
      wants to coach.
      ``If he decides he doesn't want to coach, then we'll discuss whether he
      wants to come into the front office.''
      If Bird were to move into the Pacers' front office, presumably he would
      take on the brunt of Walsh's responsibilities as general manager, with
      Walsh tending more to the administrative side of the operation. That was
      Bird's game plan from the outset when he left a Celtics front office
      position to accept Walsh's offer in May 1997.
      Bird had already informed the Pacers of his heart condition, which
      requires medicine, exercise and a proper diet as primary treatment. Walsh
      said he was apprehensive until he received assurances Bird's health would
      not be at risk in his new job.
      ``At the beginning of the interview process I was very nervous because I
      really didn't know what it was,'' recalled Walsh. ``But then when Larry
      met with doctors and his condition was explained to me - that it could be
      regulated through medicine and diet - it eased my mind about the whole
      situation. I wasn't nervous at all after that.''
      Bird signed a three-year contract with the Pacers. At the time, he
      envisioned that time frame would be the extent of his career as an NBA
      coach. But he has been highly successful in his adopted profession,
      winning the league's Coach of the Year award his first year and last
      season guiding the Pacers to a second straight Eastern Conference finals.
      ``I've really loved watching Larry learn more and more about coaching and
      becoming very good at it,'' said Walsh. ``I thought he would do well when
      I hired him and he's lived up to everything I thought he would do. He's
      been absolutely terrific.''
      Terrific, but minus his stated goal of a championship ring. Bird took his
      team's upset loss to the Knicks in the Eastern Conference finals quite
      hard, fueling speculation that 1999-2000 would be his final season. Like
      everybody else in the Pacers' organization, Walsh is awaiting final word.
      That word belongs to Bird.
      ``I know it's come out that he doesn't want to coach next year but he
      hasn't really made an official declaration to that effect,'' Walsh said.
      ``Nor has he told me that he wouldn't coach after this year.
      `` All I can say right now is we will talk sometime down the road and then
      a decision will be made.''