Re: Celtic tradition, Bob Ryan et. al.

Good post Paul!  I would add that Bob Ryan's job is not to merely cover the
sports scene (or any other journalist for that matter) but to invoke passion
on the part of his target audience, one way or another.

If you have ever seen him on Lobel's Sunday night show, you'll probably
agree that there are times when he goes WAY beyond passion to severe
extremes.  That's not to say that I disagree with him on everything cuz I
don't.  I do feel that his style is tres confrontational by no accident.

Whether or not he is a racist is not for me to say and I'm of the opinion
that he merits the benefit of the doubt.  I have read articles he written
which have praised black athletes from Russell to JoJo to Cornbread to Tiny
to Mercer.  It's not as if Toine has been the most shining example of a team
captain, but as Paul has mentioned, this is a new breed of athlete, complete
with finger waggling, taunting and gyrating when they make a good play.
IMHO, Toine is just another product of his environment.  Tell me that
Garnett and Webber don't do similar things in similar situations.

A sincerely GREAT player like Julius Erving would have worn himself out
gyrating from all the great plays he made.  That is why I advocate more
input from the older, more respected former C's.  I would beg Tiny to mentor
Kenny Anderson.  This team needs Kenny to score SOME, but we need him MORE
to make better decisions, distribute the ball and push it at every
opportunity.  I really think he can play better defense and has showed
flashes in the preseason.

I would get Havlicek to discuss the importance of moving without the ball
and how it can help wear teams down just like the trapping and pressing
defences do.  Then I would ask him to stress to the bench players how
important their role is.

I would ask Maxwell to work with Toine, Eric Williams, VP and Battie about
footwork in the paint.  I often feel that he is very underrated when
discussing offensive moves.  Not taking anything away from McHale, but Max
was no slouch either and he is still here within our midst.

It may or may not have the desired effect on this team, but there's no harm
in trying.

Cecil