Re: Charlotte game

IMO, this is exactly the kind of post that makes this list such a useful
resource for all things Celtics, compared to other choices out there. I'd like
to someday sound as rational and objective as Alex or Bill, but it just isn't my
style. :-) On this subject, I also appreciate the link contributions by the
"Duke of URL" (Ray), although not always the cocky tone of his opinions. FWIW to
Greg Ode and friends, I personally regard it as Way Ray's "shtick" to come off
as condescendingly righteous as possible and I'm definitely live-and-let-live as
far as that goes, since it can provoke lively discussions. Needless to say, I'm
equally unhappy to admit I'm wrong more often than not in my own brilliant
predictions (thankfully, in the case of Eric Williams so far).  For example,  I
was actually bummed when the Celtics drafted Kevin McHale instead of Darrell
Griffith. I also never liked Rick Fox (still don't) and thought Isiah Rider was
a sure NBA star etc. etc. ad infinitum. Don't even ask how I do on the stock
markets, with two of my wise investments falling over 10% yesterday alone (equal
to a month's salary). Yikes. I'm getting all hyperactively productive with my
son due to be born this week (I think I'll go home for lunch and scrub the
kitchen floors). Anyway, to tie this post back to our Celtics, I'm curious
whether Marty Conlon (if in shape) should immediately take Fortson's place on
the opening day roster, or be brought up slowly or only when Pervis shows he
isn't good for 10+ minutes a night. Alex mentions Wayne Turner's promising play
in his post, but Adrian Griffin is yet another rookie who seems to have also
done nothing to hurt his chances of sticking as more than an "injured list"
player.

Assuming Conlon is kept on as a 12th man (there are good reasons to) and barring
true injuries (knock wood), either Turner or Griffin will unfortunately have to
join Eric Washington on the injured reserve list. Technically the two rookies
are the third-string options behind veterans Dana Barros and Calbert Cheaney,
who are sure to make the regular rotation along with a now somewhat
soft-rebounding frontcourt of Williams, McCarty, Pervis and Marty. Pitino has
done everything possible to blend in the slow-starting Cheaney, and hopefully it
is starting to pay dividends in time for the season. Every player in camp other
than Cheaney has had at least one very solid outing so far, with the exception
of Eric "downtown" Washington (so far a latter day Terry Duerod/David Thirdkill
type). Meanwhile, the poor party-crashing Conlon might get viewed by his
all-summerlong-tailbusting-and-malebonding teammates as the stereotypical 12th
man token white boy. Even though every  NBA team does it, it is an unfortunate
(and unfair) position to be in for Conlon. It will make things worse if the
Boston fans continue to cheer "Mahty's" every move on the court.

Joe

****