      Battie now a good bet: Unexpected punches can't stop feisty Celtics
      forward
      by Steve Bulpett
      Sunday, October 24, 1999
      LEXINGTON, Ky. - Things have been fairly constant and routine for Tony
      Battie in the last several days. The Celtic foward knew he would never
      have to wait very long before the next relatively major event in his
      basketball life.
      A week ago Friday, he was given a six-year contract extension worth some
      $25 million. In Monday's practice, he sprained a ligament in his left
      knee. On Tuesday, he learned that the man ahead of him in the rotation,
      Danny Fortson, would be out anywhere from 6-to-12 weeks with a stress
      fracture in his right foot.
      Battie got back into practice on Thursday and was part of the Celtic mix
      last night in an exhibition duel with Utah. From the prospect of playing
      the year for a contract to the burden of holding the inside fort for
      Fortson, it's been a dizzying time.
      ``I mean, things happen,'' Battie said.
      And what's happened lately has put a great deal of emphasis on the
      6-foot-11 runner who added some much-needed muscle to his frame over the
      summer. The key to the Celtics remains Antoine Walker and whether he can
      rise to his coach's plan and his own wish to move to small forward. And if
      all goes well there, that means Battie has to play a large role on a team
      desperately in need of a strong start.
      ``I keep saying this about Antoine, but if we get him in small forward
      condition, then Tony probably will start up at the power forward spot,
      which I think would be great for him,'' said Celtics coach Rick Pitino.
      ``I think he's good enough to do it. He's ready to play.''
      The knee problem was taken care of swiftly on this trip, with daily care
      from trainer Ed Lacerte. That gave Battie four games, beginning last
      night, to ready himself for the regular schedule.
      ``My injury was minor with the way it all worked out,'' he said. ``And
      we're sad to hear that Danny's hurt, but I guess since it had to happen,
      at least it happened in the preseason, so we'll be able to get him back as
      soon as possible.
      ``The rest just comes with the territory. Anything can happen, whether
      it's in a game or in practice. I mean, it's times like that when guys just
      have to step up and play.''
      While Battie claims he's prepared to do just that, he sounded wary of
      providing the same effect Fortson did in two preseason appearances (23
      rebounds in 40 minutes).
      ``Just looking at our basketball team, there's probably nobody on our team
      that can rebound like Danny,'' Battie said. ``I mean, he's a force. He's a
      bull down there.
      ``So it's not just one man's job to try to replace Danny. It's going to
      have to be a whole team thing from the big players - me, V (Vitaly
      Potapenko), Marty (Conlon), Antoine. And some of our guards are going to
      have to come out a little bit, stop leaking out so much, to help us
      board.''
      But mostly it will be on Battie.
      ``Yeah, I'm looking forward to it,'' he said. ``It's all about getting the
      job done. As long as we win, it's all right with me. I want to get to the
      playoffs. Everybody on the team thinks that way. It's all in our control
      now. Our destiny is what we do with it.
      ``We have to get ready and do all the things we have to in the preseason.
      Then when the (regular season) games start, we've got to win all those
      games down the stretch that we sort of slipped up and let go last
      year.''