      Boston Herald

      New faces, same problems
      Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
      Thursday, October 14, 1999
      Playing mix and match against a battle-ready Charlotte outfit, the Celtics
      didn't look numerically much better than when last you saw them.
      In a 110-103 loss to the Hornets in the exhibition opener last night, the
      C's had a 58-29 deficit in free throws attempted, and the offense was
      still mostly sluggish.
      Danny Fortson had 11 boards in a 53-40 Boston glass win, and Rick Pitino
      had to expect problems with six new players in the rotation.
      ``The difference obviously in the game is that they're ready to play and
      we're not yet,'' Pitino said. ``And in our players' defense, we are having
      a difficult time learning the offensive sets. The new guys were in the
      wrong sets tonight, and because of that they didn't look good offensively.
      But as the game went on, I thought we played better.
      ``It's no indicator tonight, but I think we're going to be an outstanding
      ballclub. We have very good depth and we're going to learn our offenses
      and defenses better. I don't think we're going to get pushed around and
      outrebounded like we did last year. So there are positive signs; we just
      have to work on our execution.''
      The Celts trailed by as many as 25 and were down, 58-41, at halftime.
      Things looked better thereafter, with Eric Williams arising for 17 points,
      and Antoine Walker and Tony Battie adding 15 each. Pervis Ellison, making
      his first appearance since the 1997-98 season, had four points and three
      boards in 12 minutes. Old friend David Wesley led the Hornets with 24
      points.
      ``Tonight you saw a veteran team in Charlotte - seven or eight guys who've
      been together a while and executed their offense,'' Walker said. ``Then
      you saw us with the new guys. And it's hard when you're subbing in five at
      a time like that. But the main thing we wanted to do was get better the
      second half and we did.''
      Dana Barros missed the game because of an illness in his family.
      Russell sets a date
      Bill Russell was vague on his plans when asked when he'd be returning to
      work with the club, but it was learned last night that he will be in town
      for the regular-season home opener Nov. 3 against Washington. That night,
      the Celtics will kick off a season-long celebration of Red Auerbach's 50
      years with the franchise. The first actual event will be at the B'nai
      B'rith tapoff dinner at the Sheraton on Oct. 26.
      Bob Cousy and Tom Heinsohn will also take part in the opening game
      festivities for Auerbach.
      Russell will be addressing the media today on the subject of Wilt
      Chamberlain's passing.
      C's deliver the news
      After much discussion, the Celtics decided to simply deliver inning
      updates from the Red Sox-Yankees game. An idea about showing the game on
      the FleetCenter's Jumbotron screen was scuttled.
      ``We though about all the possibilities, but there's a licensing problem
      with putting Major League Baseball games on the screen here,'' said the
      Celts' executive vice president for marketing, Stuart Layne.
      ``The bottom line is that it is what it is. The Red Sox and the Yankees is
      tough to compete against.''