Just when I was feeling better. A few thoughts.

>Pitino has decided to end the two-a-days because everyone is
>in shape. ''Normally in two-a-days, one of those is for conditioning,''
>he said. ''But we're in great shape.''

This should end the "Antoine's a tubbo," talk. I find this comforting.

>... Pitino on new bruiser Danny
>Fortson: ''I think he'll be in foul trouble [with the new rules]. I think
>Vitaly Potapenko will be, too. But we have five legitimate frontcourt
>players this year so we can withstand foul trouble.''

I find this troubling. Pitino seems pretty certain about both players
inability to play effectively under the new rules. There doesn't seem to be
a doubt in his mind. Both of these guys need to be physically agressive at
both ends of the floor in order to make a difference. And yes, there is
greater depth in the frontcourt, but I'd feel a lot better if Pitino was
forcing the other team's hand concerning who was on the court and when.
But...perhaps it's a case of Fortson/Pot or Walker/Battie starting/playing
more minutes against different lineups and more favorable matchups. I will
say that when the Mercer/Fortson trade was announced my first thought was
that Pitino could've done better. But after reading the article from Dave
Krieger, it seems that Pitino's been trying to move Mercer for a while now
and perhaps it's safe to assume that Fortson and the pick was the best deal
Pitino could make. Now of course, a rebounder like Fortson and a lottery
pick from the Nugs is nothing to be sneered at, but I assumed there were
other gm's around the league who shared Issel's opinion of Mercer and
would've offered more. That apparently wasn't the case. But the team needed
rebounding help last year, and defintely got it in Fortson. It also,
however, needed interior defense, and here's where there could be a problem
if Pitino's right about "foul trouble." But we'll find out very soon. I
think most of us agree that the deal for Fortson and the pick had to be
made (I know Mishra has serious reservations. Are you still out there
Mishra? I look forward to some posts soon.) but I'm not sure this is the
deal that guarantees a playoff appearance this year. Is the team better?
Yes. The concensus around here seems to be, however, that they're a lock
for at least the eighth spot in the playoffs, and I'm not so sure. The
preseason could tell us a lot about this team. Now if only Kenny could've
also gotten a one-way ticket out of Boston this summer...

Paul M.