Re: Mercer worth gamble Issel took in trade

DJessen33@aol.com wrote:

> How come we can't have any Boston writers who are as biased as this Denver
> newspaper writer?

Because, to paraphrase Wesley Snipes in "White Men Can't Jump", it's not easy
being so bad. I could never understand why the Globe's sportswriters were always
considered to be some of the best in the nation, but now I'm beginning to. It's
not that they're so good, it's just that most of their colleagues could
successfully audition for the cast of "Dumb and Dumber 2 1/2". This guy makes
Paul's crazy uncle look like a paragon of objectivity and fairness, as well as a
veritable basketball guru.
Re: the basketball part, I guess with Denver's not being what you call a
basketball town, and the Nuggets' (or Colorado) not exactly having a winning
tradition, it's harder to develop an understanding of what makes a winning team.
Thus it is perhaps little surprise that this so-called sports columnist is a
sucker for the superficial stuff (e.g., "Mercer, who at age 23 already has
scored nearly 2,000 NBA points, could grow into Denver's sweetest, smoothest
scorer...")that *looks* good, and has no idea of the value of players like
Fortson, who rebound, defend, intimidate, and generally do all the dirty work
that needs to be done for a team to win. This trade, as Josh Ozersky has said,
is a litmus test, and this guy fails it.
Kestas