May: C's Not Deterred By Dire Predictions

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Celtics say picks are no impediment

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 10/10/99

                                WALTHAM - The regionalized cover of
                                Street & Smith's Pro Basketball
                                Yearbook has a picture of the captain of
                                the Boston Celtics with the headline:
                                `Walking Tall: Antoine Walker Leads The
                                Resurgent Celtics.''

                                Turn to Page 62 and you'll find out just
                                how ''resurgent'' the Celtics are
                                projected to be: They are picked dead last
                                in the Atlantic Division, even behind
                                Orlando, which may be the fourth-best team
                                in Florida this season after the Miami
                                Heat, University of Miami, and University
                                of Florida.

                                Other preseason previews are surfacing,
                                each with similar expectations for Rick
                                Pitino's team. Athlon Sports picks them to
                                finish fifth in the Atlantic, ahead of
                                Washington and Orlando. ESPN.com's initial
                                power poll has the Celtics 21st, 11th in
                                the East and ahead of Orlando, Washington,
                                Detroit, and Chicago.

                                No one is expecting the Celtics to do much
                                of anything, except, of course, the coach
                                and the players. Pitino has predicted they
                                will make the playoffs, and they believe
                                there's no reason they can't. They pay no
                                heed to the predictions, pointing to the
                                wide-open East (Orlando and Chicago
                                already have packed it in) and to a lot of
                                teams already in injury/personnel trouble.

                                The message: Dismiss them at your own
                                peril.

                                ''It's our attitude that's refreshing. No
                                one expects a lot, but we expect a lot,''
                                Pitino said.

                                The Celtics believe there are some
                                built-in advantages as they attempt to
                                crack the top eight. In no particular
                                order, they are:

                                The schedule: The team plays 12 of its
                                first 18 and 15 of its first 25 at the
                                FleetCenter. Two years ago, the Celtics
                                turned home court into an advantage. Last
                                year, it was the opposite. Pitino wants
                                that first-year feeling again, and Kenny
                                Anderson believes the season could be made
                                in November.

                                ''It depends on how you come out of the
                                gate, that first month,'' said Anderson.
                                ''You establish what you're about, your
                                team, your character. If we win, teams
                                will come to the FleetCenter saying, `We
                                got a game.' If we're losing, they'll come
                                in nonchalant.''

                                The rule changes: On the surface, they
                                appear to favor the style of play that the
                                Celtics like. Last year's division
                                champions, Indiana and Miami, preferred a
                                slow-down style that may not work this
                                season.

                                ''It's going to be interesting,'' Anderson
                                said. ''Who's smarter? Who's going to
                                adapt to the new rules? It won't be a
                                cakewalk for New York, Miami, or Indiana.
                                All those slow-poke teams that want to set
                                it up, there's no room for that. This is a
                                new year. We all start with a clean
                                slate.''

                                Pitino agreed.

                                ''I couldn't begin to tell you who would
                                be a favorite in this division,'' he said.
                                ''I'm sure people will pick Miami, because
                                of their veterans, but outside of that ...
                                with the problems New York is having right
                                now, I don't think you could pick them.''

                                The muddled Eastern Conference: Thirteen
                                of the 15 teams have legitimate playoff
                                aspirations. Try getting a consensus on
                                the eight qualifiers. New York and New
                                Jersey have centers with injuries. Detroit
                                has a center on the verge of retirement.
                                Atlanta has a new backcourt.

                                ''It's a wide-open race,'' Anderson said.
                                ''Everyone in the East is right there. It
                                depends on who's in shape, who plays a
                                team concept. We're going to be all right,
                                I think.''

                                Added Pitino, ''The competition is going
                                to be ready because everyone is so close.
                                With our division the way it is, you can't
                                sneak up on anybody. We're all so close
                                that the days of the 60-win season in our
                                division are over.''

                                After practicing twice a day for five
                                days, the Celtics had one workout
                                yesterday, a three-hour midday session.
                                Dana Barros (knee) still was unable to be
                                a full participant. Pervis Ellison
                                (history) also did not go. The team also
                                will have one workout today. The
                                exhibition season starts Wednesday night
                                with a home game against Charlotte ...
                                Bill Russell is expected to be at practice
                                today, a day earlier than anticipated, to
                                begin working with the big men ...
                                Anderson celebrated his 29th birthday
                                yesterday ... Assistant coach Andy Enfield
                                has been a busy man. Enfield already has
                                changed the shooting form of Vitaly
                                Potapenko and Danny Fortson, both of whom
                                used to bring the ball over the head.
                                ''They've made tremendous strides,'' he
                                said. Also getting attention: Calbert
                                Cheaney and Adrian Griffin, both of whom
                                tend to hesitate while shooting.

                                This story ran on page C06 of the Boston
                                Globe on 10/10/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.