Re: BILL RUSSELL? REALLY????

It really is great news.  Russell has such a cerebral
approach to basketball that even if the players don't
learn a single thing he tells them, he provides an
example of what the mental game of basketball is all
about.  It was amazing reading what he told Shaquile
O'Neal about the center needing to know 9 different
kinds of passes, and so on.  With apologies to Larry
Bird, Russell is certainly the smartest player to ever
draw breath, and had far away the most analytic
approach to the game.  This also makes me happy
because in Bird Watching, Larry bitches a lot about
how there are no ex-celtics in Boston, how they were
all driven out by ownership.  Well, I guess we now
have one ex-celtic -- and he's the one to have.  My
only caveat is that a lot of young players have been
exposed to Russell without learning anything.  I
wonder if it will occur to any writers to ask Pervis
about this.  Pervis was drafted first overall by
Russell himself, and was tutored by the master as a
rookie.

=====