Kenny Anderson Healthy For A Change

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Anderson healthy, hopeful

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 10/07/99

                                 WALTHAM - Kenny Anderson is staying
                                away from black cats, ladders, and
                                anything else that might be construed as
                                bad luck. Who can blame him? In his mind,
                                that embodiment of good will, the
                                leprechaun, has even turned on him.

                                Injuries were a small part of Anderson's
                                resume when he arrived in Boston during
                                the 1997-98 season. Almost instantly, they
                                became a constant.

                                ''The leprechaun wasn't good for me,'' he
                                said.

                                There was the left knee bone bruise after
                                an encouraging start following his
                                acquisition from Toronto. Last year, there
                                was a strained right hamstring. In both
                                seasons, the injuries came at the end of
                                the year.

                                Only once before, when he fractured his
                                wrist in his second season, has an injury
                                sidelined Anderson for any significant
                                period of time. He's determined to make
                                this season as ailment-free as possible,
                                while recognizing there are things he
                                simply cannot control.

                                Toward that end, Anderson worked with a
                                trainer over the summer in Atlanta, a man
                                whose specialty is track and field. He
                                lifted weights and did sprints. But the
                                main area of concentration was, as
                                Anderson put it yesterday, ''My bones. I
                                worked on my bones so they won't break
                                down. I know I'm never going to be this
                                huge, physical specimen. I just have to
                                work on my bones. That's all I did.''

                                He's convinced that if he can simply stay
                                on the court, he and the Celtics will
                                benefit. In his first stretch with Boston,
                                there was a notable improvement in both
                                the team's performance and that of Antoine
                                Walker when Anderson was running the show.
                                Last year, the team started to play better
                                until he and Walker both went down with
                                injuries.

                                In the last two years, Anderson has
                                averaged 12.2 points a game, 3 below his
                                career average. He did, however, shoot a
                                career-high 45 percent from the field last
                                season and led the team in assists and
                                free-throw percentage. The knock on him
                                has always been his defense and, since his
                                arrival here, his durability. One has to
                                be fit to play Pitino Ball. In addition to
                                the injury, Anderson also suffered the
                                indignity of being left home from a game
                                for disciplinary reasons.

                                ''I let a lot of distractions last year
                                affect me,'' he said. ''Being mature, I
                                shouldn't have let that happen. I was a
                                little disappointed in myself. A lot of
                                people were playing under pressure last
                                year because of the lockout. There was so
                                much going on. This year, I'm going in
                                with a clean slate. I think everyone is.

                                ''I'm feeling much better now than last
                                year, when it was a real rush,'' he went
                                on. ''And you can see coach and the staff
                                are more relaxed because they have more
                                time to put things in. With a young team,
                                it's real important to take your time. We
                                have a lot of talent to really work with
                                instead of rushing into things. It's good
                                for everyone.''

                                Anderson said the last time he was in such
                                good shape was after signing with Portland
                                as a free agent. Perhaps not
                                coincidentally, he played in all 82 games
                                and enjoyed one of his most productive
                                seasons, leading the Blazers in scoring,
                                assists, and steals while averaging more
                                than 37 minutes a game.

                                But differences with coach Mike Dunleavy -
                                and the availability of Damon Stoudamire -
                                conspired to send him packing. He says now
                                he feels he's in an ideal system for his
                                game, adding, ''I don't think anyone is
                                disappointed in my play. If you put me in
                                a great environment, I'll blossom. But I
                                have to stay healthy.''

                                That, of course, is the issue. Is he the
                                relatively durable point guard who rarely
                                was hurt in his first six years, or is he
                                the fragile and injury-prone player we've
                                seen the last 1 1/2? Can the two injuries
                                in Boston be traced to simple bad luck or
                                something else? All Anderson knows is the
                                Celtics still haven't seen him as he'd
                                like to be seen, not for any meaningful
                                period of time.

                                ''I've just kept getting injured since
                                I've been in Boston,'' he said. ''I don't
                                know why. It's five games here, then I go
                                down. It's three games there, then I go
                                down. I can't have that. I understand that
                                sometimes you have no control, but I have
                                to prepare myself not to break down. I
                                gotta be out on the court.''

                                This story ran on page F01 of the Boston
                                Globe on 10/07/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.