                                Pervis Ellison said.

                                He feels fine.

                                Who knows how he really
                                feels or how long it'll
                                last, but, for now, on
                                the opening day of
                                training camp, the
                                oft-injured,
                                oft-maligned, oft-ridiculed Ellison is on
                                board for the 1999-2000 Celtics season.

                                Ellison missed all of last season after
                                undergoing ankle surgery. He played in 33
                                games the year before that, six the year
                                before that. That's 39 games out of a
                                possible 214 over the last three years. In
                                that time, he has pocketed $6.27 million,
                                and he has $2.75 million coming this
                                season.

                                Ellison will participate in the morning
                                sessions during two-a-days, working as a
                                ''focus coach'' in the evening. ''That's
                                the best gig in town,'' he said. He's in
                                the last year of his six-year gift from
                                M.L. Carr, and coach Rick Pitino noted,
                                ''We're hoping it will be his best year.''

                                Ellison said he's looking forward to being
                                a veteran presence in the locker room,
                                something he enjoys and something the
                                players also enjoy. He was a very popular
                                member of the 1997-98 Celtics, a
                                tricaptain. He was MIA last year. He plans
                                to be around and about this year.

                                ''You can't put a price on experience,''
                                he said. ''I'm going to be vocal in the
                                locker room, that's part of my makeup.
                                Regardless of my title'' - he doesn't know
                                whether he's still a captain - ''I'm going
                                to be a leader.''

                                Minor difficulties

                                Greg Minor is on the preseason roster but
                                was not around yesterday. The Celtics
                                released a one-page statement saying, in
                                effect, that Minor is still hurt and
                                trying to get better. Pitino said Minor is
                                ''month to month'' and could miss the
                                entire season. Minor suffered a serious
                                hip injury last April 29 in Miami ... The
                                Celtics have until the end of the month to
                                extend the contracts of Danny Fortson and
                                Tony Battie. ''It's something we're
                                considering,'' GM Chris Wallace said ...
                                Dana Barros has gone for the Allen Iverson
                                cornrows look while Ellison has dreadlocks
                                in a ponytail ... The Celtics have four
                                players who were on the 1997-98 Denver
                                Nuggets, who won 11 games: Eric
                                Washington, Battie, Eric Williams, and
                                Fortson. ''Nobody has lost more than we
                                have the last couple years,'' Fortson
                                said. ''I definitely want to win.''
                                Fortson is looking forward to the
                                exhibition opener against Charlotte and
                                Anthony Mason. ''He's one of the players I
                                tried to model my game after,'' Fortson
                                said. He added, ''I hope [the referees]
                                let us play.'' ... Antoine Walker said
                                he's not certain what position he'll play,
                                or what role he'll play. ''I don't know if
                                I'm going to be a [small forward] or a
                                [power forward]. Or if they'll need me to
                                score 20 points or get 12 rebounds.'' He
                                didn't seem concerned, and Pitino isn't,
                                either. ''I couldn't even tell you who'd
                                start right now,'' the coach said. ''It's
                                very close at every position.'' Pitino
                                conceded that Walker and Paul Pierce would
                                probably start, ''But outside of those
                                two, I don't have a clue.''

                                This story ran on page E07 of the Boston
                                Globe on 10/05/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                Only the playoffs will do

                                Preseason Celtics crave the credibility of
                                a postseason

                                By Peter May, Globe Staff, 10/05/99

                                WALTHAM - The
                                Celtics are back
                                in business. They are
                                ready for business. You
                                could see it on their
                                faces yesterday. You
                                could hear it in their
                                voices. They are tired
                                of losing, tired of
                                false hopes, tired of
                                trying to explain why
                                and how it all went
                                wrong.

                                The plan is to have no such talk this
                                season. Coach Rick Pitino has set the bar
                                high - the playoffs - and that means
                                they're going to have to jump high and a
                                lot of teams are going to have to fall.
                                They think they can do it.

                                No one at the annual Media Day yesterday
                                was talking anything less. From Antoine
                                Walker to Paul Pierce to Eric ''We Hardly
                                Knew Ye'' Williams, the mantra was the
                                same: It's time.

                                ''You gotta walk the walk,'' said point
                                guard Kenny Anderson. ''You gotta do it.
                                We just gotta go out and play.

                                ''[The playoffs] are a great motivation.
                                You have to believe in yourself. We have
                                the talent here. We can do it. But we have
                                to have togetherness. One guy on this team
                                isn't going to do it. Now is this year.
                                Everyone's back is against the wall.
                                There's a lot of pressure on us. So now,
                                it's like, `Yo, put up or shut up.' We got
                                to turn this around this year. We got to
                                make some strides.''

                                Pitino has 14 players in camp. Eight have
                                never been in the postseason and only one,
                                Dana Barros, has been on a team that won a
                                playoff series (the 1993 Seattle
                                SuperSonics). This is a team with a lot of
                                youth, a lot of new faces, and a lot of
                                high hopes, sometimes a tough mix.

                                The newcomers are Calbert Cheaney, who
                                struggled in Washington, three members of
                                the Denver Nuggets ('nuf said), and free
                                agents Wayne Turner and Adrian Griffin.
                                Throw them together with the returning
                                Celtics, who were 19-31 last year, and,
                                well, you can see why they're eager to get
                                going.

                                ''A lot of these players are starving for
                                credibility. They're hungry,'' Pitino
                                said. ''We have a few players from that
                                team in Denver which won 11 games. I don't
                                think any of them are satisfied. They're
                                hungry. And once they get by compensation
                                and security - they have that - all that's
                                left is winning. They want credibility and
                                that's what winners get.''

                                Added Anderson, ''I feel something. Its
                                going to be a good year for us. I feel
                                that. But you still have to go out and do
                                it.''

                                The Celtics will begin two-a-days today,
                                and they will last until the exhibition
                                season opens in eight days with a
                                FleetCenter game against the Hornets. Greg
                                Minor is already hors de combat with a hip
                                injury and could miss the season. (Pitino
                                called him ''month to month.'') Pervis
                                Ellison is back, but will practice only in
                                the morning session. Pitino said he plans
                                to make no roster changes for the duration
                                of camp; beyond that, who can say?

                                The coach has players who can play a lot
                                of different positions, but also a lot of
                                guys who are 6-6 to 6-8. This may be the
                                only team in the NBA whose shooting guard
                                is as tall as its power forward. Ten of
                                the 14 players have been in the NBA four
                                years or less. The oldest players are
                                Barros and Ellison, each 32.

                                Pitino saw no downside in his challenge to
                                the players to make the postseason,
                                something the Celtics have done once since
                                Kevin McHale retired in 1993.

                                ''I think it can only be positive,'' he
                                said. ''If you aren't in the playoffs, or
                                contending for them, your credibility is
                                lost.''

                                The opportunity is there. The Eastern
                                Conference is a muddled mess with two
                                clubs, Orlando and Chicago, taking the
                                year off. Pitino knows he has no excuses
                                this year and he isn't making any. He's
                                got his team, a full training camp, a new
                                practice facility, and a favorable early
                                schedule, with 12 of the first 18 games
                                and 15 of the first 25 at the FleetCenter.

                                All he needs now is to have his players
                                play the way he wants them to play.

                                ''The talent is not in question here,''
                                Anderson said. ''It's the desire to play
                                together. Sometimes we went away from that
                                last year. That's everybody, not just one
                                person. We have to learn from it. The
                                pressure to make the playoffs could be
                                bad, but we gotta do it now. Pressure is
                                what you make of it. We have to believe in
                                ourselves.''