Re: FleetCenter might replace parquet floor

Dan Forant Sr wrote:

> It's time to move on. Send it to the Smithsonian or offer to sell pieces to
> stock holders and fans.
>
> At 11:40 AM 11/9/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Parquet floor might be off to the Hall of Fame:
> >
> >http://cbs.sportsline.com/u/wire/stories/0,1169,1556686_54,00.html
> >
> >Excerpts:
> >>    Nov. 9, 1999 10:55 AM
> >>    AP
> >>
> >>    FleetCenter and team officials are exploring the possibility of
> >>    replacing the crosscut oak floor that is as old as the NBA.
> >>    Opposing players have complained over the years of so-called "dead
> >>    spots" - areas where they say the basketball doesn't bounce the
> >>    way it should.

Dan, my feelings are "who cares if opposing players have complained about dead
spots". Gimmeabreak. Gaston should replace a few panels as necessary. The
articles I've read so far have made no compelling case (termites, for instance)
why they need to replace the whole damn thing, other than to create memorabilia
profits and maybe even build that great new patio "Thanks Dad" Gaston is
planning for swell family barbecues in his backyard.

It's a slippery slope. Little by little, our Celtics basketball shrine will
lose all its beauty, charm and tradition. At first I thought this was an April
Fools' joke, since I didn't recognize the name of the new Globe writer, Paul
Harbor. I thought we bombed Paul Harbor in '42!   (okay, bad joke).

Joe

p.s. I can't say I recall or understand the animus between you and Cecil
Wright. Cecil seems like a true classy guy and he's seen it all through the
ages, like list doyenne Dorine. Plus he's cool. Take away a guy like Cecil and
won't we just be left with a bunch of pasty white boys and asian boys. :-)

------