On Sat, 6 Nov 1999, The Boston Celtics Mailing List Digest wrote:

> Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 13:03:19 EST
> From: Georgek27@aol.com
> Subject: Re: Indiana's new Fieldhouse
>
> This is where we've been lucky so far - we've had reasonable refs.  In some
> of the other games the number of fouls called has been ridiculous.  Miller,
> the biggest flop artist in the NBA, has taken advantage of this.  Combine
> that with the opening of the Pacers' new building and the always frantic
> Indiana hoop fans and I think Tommy H will be complaining an awful lot.

Whoo, you sure called this one.  The Pacers went to the line 17 more times
than the Celtics, pretty much making the difference in this one.
Television doesn't make it easy to tell if legimite fouls are being called
or the refs are just mailing it in.  The C's certainly got some beneficial
calls, but they took it to the basket a lot, particularly Williams,
Walker, and Pierce, and didn't get many calls.

Walker really lets the referees affect his game, to the point where I
think he drives to the hoop aimlessly just to try and draw a foul.  The
refs almost never call it of course, and he winds up complaining while
nine other people run down the floor.

The C's had a terrible time running plays for Walker in the post.  When
the play seems to be to clear out a side for him and a guard throws an
entry pass into the post, rarely does anything good happen.  He dribbles
four or five times, turns into defenders and gets stuffed or stripped.
He's a lot better in the post when the ball is moved around the perimeter
and a teammate leads him to the basket with a pass, or spots him open
underneath.  When he uses his quickness and reacts right away, he's pretty
good.  When he pounds the ball into the floor, giving the defense plenty
of time to double, he loses the ball.

I was surprised Turner didn't play.  He doesn't have the best handle on
the ball, but his penetration would have helped.

> Date: Sat, 6 Nov 1999 23:35:19 -0400
> From: "Cecil Wright" <cecil@hfx.eastlink.ca>
> Subject: Re: In It Till The End
>
> P.S. Griffin didn't have a good game either but I guess he's immune from
> your nitpicking, for the time being.  This team will gel.  Question is which
> side of the fence will you be on when they do?

Actually, Griffin had a pretty solid game, with the exception of his
roaming defense that left Reggie Miller open for some threes.  8 points, 4
boards, 5 assists (nice!) and 2 steals.

> Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 22:42:36 -0500
> From: Way Of The Ray <wayray@ix.netcom.com>
> Subject: Major Culprits For the Loss]

> Antoine Walker - Reverting back to former form, except he
> rebounded better last season. If the Celtics don't make the
> playoffs, there's a far greater chance he'll be gone than Pitino.

Yeah, that's probably true.  I think Pitino would really like to win with
Antoine and sees it as a challenge to try and draw out the potential that
Antoine offers.  That's probably why he flip-flops on what he expects from
'Toine -- he keeps trying to push the right buttons to get the best out of
him.  It makes sense since it's unlikely he could get as much potential in
a trade.  Still, with the nice nucleus of talent the Celtics have built
up, it might be easier for Rick to trade 'Toine for someone he could count
on to deliver every night (even if it's not as good as 'Toine at his
best).  I've never believed Antoine carried the team and that they would
collapse without him, although I'm not trying to push him out the door,
either.  I have faith Pitino will resolve this one way or another -- he
certainly knows Antoine best.

> Date: Sat, 06 Nov 1999 22:55:19 -0500
> From: Bill Cooper <wfcooper@tiac.net>
> Subject: Celts Fall Short: Indiana 115- Boxton 108

> Anderson: Kenny picked up the C's and carried them offensively in the
> second half.  He had 20 points and 5 assists, mostly in the second,
> and, for the second time this season, went without committing a
> turnover.  He also really gave himself up on defense.  Definitely
> putting in the effort.  I don't know, though.  Is it just me, or is he
> a little reluctant to pass the ball to Griffin?

It seems like some players are still reluctant to pass to others, not just
Anderson.  Pierce doesn't move the ball around the way he should.  A
couple of games ago it seemed like Potapenko was constantly ignored, but
now that he's putting up numbers he's getting the touches.  I wonder if
Griffin's assist numbers are making Kenny nervous?  There are still some
petty personality problems this team needs to work through.

> Pierce:  Basically improved his shooting percent by substituting
> turnovers for missed shots.  Went to the basket aggressively, but
> coughed up the ball inside.  Still had 19 points 8-11 shooting and had
> 5 boards in 26 minutes (he ended the game with 5 fouls).

Didn't look as good as the stat line would indicate -- especally the 8-11
shooting.  Got jammed in the paint a couple of times driving to the hoop.
Could do a lot of damage knocking down open 15-18 foot jumpers instead of
one-on-one stuff and three pointers.

Here's hoping that three days of practice time and rest will have them
ready for Detroit.

Dan