Indiana's new Fieldhouse

Here's an article from an Indiana paper about their home opener. The
Celtics, playing their fourth game in five nights in three cities, have
to keep their energy. I'd like to see Vitaly face the basket and drive
at Smits, which is something he did with some success last year.
Rebounding is key as in all games, but in this one the Celtics might
actually have an advantage on paper. And hopefully Griffin can shut
down Reggie Miller without getting in foul trouble.

---

Special night in store as Pacers play first game in Fieldhouse

By Mark Montieth
The Indianapolis Star

INDIANAPOLIS (Nov. 6, 1999) -- Given what happened Thursday night and given
the moment that awaits them tonight, it's difficult to imagine the Indiana
Pacers won't be emotionally ready for their game with Boston.

After all, it isn't every year a team unwraps a new fieldhouse.

The Pacers tip off a new era tonight when they meet the Celtics in their
new $183 million home, Conseco Fieldhouse. A sellout crowd of about 18,500
fans will be on hand to witness the inaugural game and pay tribute to
basketball's storied history in Indiana.

For the Pacers, the event brings the additional feature of doing something
to help fans quickly forget the sluggishness and sloppiness of Thursday's
98-89 loss to Charlotte.

"Just seeing all the fans come and see the new building and be excited
about it will be great for us," Pacers coach Larry Bird said.

"I think our guys will come out with a little more energy."

Several special events will help mark the fieldhouse's opening:

- A ribbon-cutting ceremony will be conducted at 4:30 p.m. at the corner
of Pennsylvania and Georgia. Broadcaster Bob Costas will emcee the event,
which features local dignitaries. Entertainment for the event will begin
at 3:30 p.m.

- The doors to the fieldhouse will open at 5 p.m., two hours before tipoff.
Five bands will play in the concourse and each fan will receive a
commemorative poster.

- A barbershop quartet will sing the national anthem and Back Home Again
in Indiana.

- The retired jerseys of Mel Daniels, George McGinnis and Roger Brown and
the three ABA championship banners will be re-dedicated before the game.

- Martinsville native John Wooden will throw out the ceremonial game ball.
Four-time Indianapolis 500 winner A.J. Foyt will participate in a ceremony
during a timeout.

- The NBA has granted the Pacers permission to extend the halftime by a
few minutes to honor the players who were chosen among the top 50 in the
state's history. A video, produced by NBA Entertainment, will be shown
that pays brief tribute to each player.

- On Sunday, an open house will be conducted from 2 to 6 p.m. for anyone
wanting to see the fieldhouse. The doors will be opened at 1 p.m. for the
disabled. Three bands, the Pacemates and the mascot Boomer will be on
hand to provide entertainment. The concession stands will be open.

A grand opening does not bring the guarantee of victory, of course. Pacers
assistants Rick Carlisle and Dick Harter were on the coaching staff at
Portland five years ago and recall all too well the Blazers' 92-82 loss
to lowly Vancouver in the first game played at The Rose Garden. Portland
shot just 35.8 percent in that game and committed 26 turnovers. The Pacers,
for that matter, lost their first regular-season game in Market Square
Arena, in double overtime to San Antonio, in 1974.

Anticipation and ceremony don't score points.

The Pacers devoted much of Friday's practice working on adjusting to the
double-teaming, trapping defensive tactics that enabled Charlotte to
force 32 turnovers on Thursday. The Celtics play a similar style.

"We'll have the same problems," Bird said. "Boston's going to be very
active, very quick. After watching (Thursday) night's game, they're going
to be doubling down in the post like Charlotte did. That presents some
problems for us, but I believe we'll be a little quicker to react."

"The one thing we have to do is execute. If we don't execute we have
problems."

The Pacers view Thursday's loss as an aberration, although a rather
surprising one for so early in the season. But they also understand the
significance of tonight's game, and the importance of not spoiling the party.

"Everybody feels it's a must-win," Al Harrington said. "You have to win
the first game in your new building."