Dell'Apa: Praise For C's Centers; Genesis of Wesley-Anderson Feud

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                CELTICS NOTEBOOK
                                Problem found in middle

                                Charlotte can't catch centers

                                By Frank Dell'Apa, Globe Staff, 11/06/99

                                The Celtics seem to have discovered
                                an effective chemistry. The center
                                combination of Vitaly Potapenko and Tony
                                Battie used quickness to match Charlotte's
                                strong inside game in a 103-100 win last
                                night. ''If we were ready from the
                                beginning, I feel the outcome would have
                                been different,'' Charlotte coach Paul
                                Silas said. ''Clearly, we were steps
                                behind. We gave up too many layups, and at
                                halftime they had 36 points in the
                                paint.''

                                Said Hornet center Elden Campbell: ''They
                                outplayed us all night. We dug ourselves
                                an early hole, and we had to fight back,
                                not once, but several times. When you play
                                a scrappy team like Boston, with the crowd
                                and the energy, they're tough to beat.''

                                Fortson on mend

                                Danny Fortson is on crutches, but he has
                                started rehabilitating after undergoing
                                surgery Oct. 21 for a stress fracture in
                                the fifth right metatarsal. ''It's
                                frustrating,'' Fortson said. ''I worked
                                hard all preseason to get in shape and
                                then this happened. To tell you the truth,
                                I was scared of the training camp because
                                I heard there would be a lot of running.
                                So, I worked really hard to get ready for
                                it. And I made it through training camp
                                great.''

                                Pointed words

                                Before the game, Hornets guard David
                                Wesley tossed some verbal knives. A few
                                subtle ones landed at the feet of former
                                coach Rick Pitino. Others were clearly
                                directed at former teammate Kenny
                                Anderson.

                                ''We don't have a good history,'' Wesley
                                said of Anderson. ''I don't think he cares
                                for me, and I don't care for him,
                                either.''

                                Wesley and Anderson's problems began when
                                both played for New Jersey. They continued
                                when Anderson left for Charlotte and
                                Wesley wound up in Boston. Now Anderson is
                                here, Wesley is there, and the feelings
                                haven't changed. At least not for Wesley.

                                The irony is that Wesley is so open with
                                his dislike of Anderson, while the usually
                                verbose Celtic is diplomatic when he
                                discusses Wesley. ''I really don't care,''
                                Anderson said. ''I only have to see him
                                four times a year. I've never done
                                anything to him personally but ...
                                whatever.''

                                One reason Wesley could have a problem
                                with Anderson is the fact that they've
                                always been in the position of wanting the
                                same thing. In New Jersey, they both
                                wanted minutes. Now, they both acknowledge
                                how much they love Boston. Wesley wanted
                                to stay. Anderson is here.

                                Adding to the fun last night, Anderson (24
                                points) and Wesley (17 points) each led
                                their team in scoring.

                                Michael Holley of the Globe Staff
                                contributed to this report.

                                This story ran on page G05 of the Boston
                                Globe on 11/06/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.