Globe/Herald on Adrian Griffin

The praise and rightly so is pouring in...

                                [The Boston Globe Online][Boston.com]
                                [Boston Globe Online / Sports]

                                A new lucky charm

                                After years, Griffin an overnight success

                                By Paul Harber, Globe Staff, 11/06/99

                                The man most responsible for the
                                Celtics' victory last night wasn't
                                even on hand. His name is Gerald Oliver,
                                and he is the general manager/assistant
                                coach of the Connecticut Pride, defending
                                champions of the Continental Basketball
                                Association.

                                He is the one who believed in Adrian
                                Griffin. This spring, he spent an hour on
                                the telephone talking Rick Pitino's ear
                                off, telling him how magical Griffin was.

                                Griffin is quickly becoming a crowd
                                darling with the magical things he does on
                                the court, things that don't always show
                                up in the scorebook.

                                The Celtics were in a fix. Boston's
                                20-point lead had disappeared faster than
                                a $20 bill at Foxwoods. The Celtics had a
                                101-100 lead, but Charlotte had the ball
                                with 17 seconds remaining. The Hornets'
                                go-to guy, Eddie Jones, had the ball and
                                tried to dribble by Griffin. But he got a
                                hand on the ball and flicked it to Kenny
                                Anderson, and the Celtic victory was all
                                but secured.

                                Three games, three impressive performances
                                by Griffin. ''He's a special young man,''
                                said Pitino. ''I can honestly say I've
                                never had another player like him.''

                                When the situation gets tough, he is the
                                one who makes things happen.

                                For instance, before Charlotte in-bounded
                                the ball on the crucial play, Pitino took
                                Griffin aside. ''I just told him, `Make
                                the play. Make the steal. Isolation
                                play.'''

                                Pitino was right, Griffin made the play,
                                and the Celtics won. It was one of the
                                game-high five steals for Griffin, who
                                played a game-high 40 minutes.

                                ''He has the softest hands I've ever seen.
                                Ever,'' Pitino said. ''He doesn't slap at
                                the ball like a lot of guys do. It's like
                                the ball's a magnet to his fingertips.
                                It's an incredible thing. He does it all
                                the time in practice.''

                                Said Griffin, ''It was a great
                                confidence-builder, but I'm looking now to
                                the next game [tonight in Indiana]. Nights
                                like this make it all worthwhile.''

                                There were a lot of nights when Griffin
                                wondered if he would ever play in the NBA.
                                It took three years of hard knocks in the
                                CBA to become an overnight success.

                                And Oliver was part of it. ''He is a great
                                man,'' said Griffin. ''Many, many times he
                                would open up the gym to practice on days
                                we didn't want to practice. He's a rare
                                person, one of the few who want to help
                                you out and expect nothing in return. He
                                helped me improve as a player, too.''

                                Over the years, Pitino said he has made
                                terrible decisions in recruiting players.
                                ''I'd watch a guy once or twice and make
                                up my mind whether to keep them or cut
                                them and I really made some bad mistakes.
                                Now I watch a guy six or seven times
                                before making a decision.''

                                And that's what helped Griffin. In one
                                summer league, Pitino saw that Griffin
                                didn't make a mistake. He chalked it up as
                                a good week. But when the Celtics played
                                in the summer league at UMass-Boston, and
                                Griffin was flawless again, Pitino knew he
                                had something special.

                                Now, the whole NBA knows about the
                                Celtics' new lucky charm.

                                ''He's my leprechaun,'' said Pitino.

                                Griffin says he doesn't know much about
                                leprechauns.

                                ''But they are magical, aren't they?'' he
                                said.

                                They sure are.

                                This story ran on page G05 of the Boston
                                Globe on 11/06/99.
                                © Copyright 1999 Globe Newspaper Company.

      Boston Herald

      Rookie erases all doubt
      by Steve Bulpett
      Saturday, November 6, 1999
      As the fourth quarter wore on last night, one could see the game slipping
      away from the Celtics.
      From a 20-point lead in the third, the margin dwindled to precarious
      numbers against the Hornets. And back came the nasty habits of a year ago
      - quick shots and the like. When Antoine Walker hoisted an ill-timed trey
      and when he bulled his way to the hoop before the defense could be
      loosened with passes, the crowd made vocal its disapproval.
      But each time the Shamrock back got close to the fire, it was pulled away.
      ``We have a great eraser in the name of Adrian Griffin,'' said Rick
      Pitino, who gave the rookie 40 minutes to Walker's 29. ``He's the best
      eraser I've had in a long time, because we miss a shot, somebody takes an
      errant shot, he comes back and tips it, keeps it alive and steals it.''
      Early in the third period, Walker airballed a 3-pointer. Griffin saved it
      back out to Kenny Anderson, who drilled a trey for an 18-point lead. With
      the cushion down to nine five minutes into the final quarter, Griffin came
      up behind an essentially unaware Bobby Phills. He didn't just tip the ball
      away, he took it. Fourteen seconds later, Anderson hit Walker for a
      3-pointer.
      Walker scored on a fast break on the Celts' next possession, but he went
      on to miss his last five shots and turn the ball over twice (7-17 from the
      floor with six turns for the night).
      ``I think he got frustrated because he thought he was getting fouled, and
      he let it mentally bother him,'' said Pitino. ``I think you've got to give
      him his off night and just be happy with the win and that's it. Antoine, I
      think, can take it two ways. He can take it like a young person, or he can
      say, `This is great. I learned a valuable lesson tonight. I came away with
      something good. And we won the game, which is all that counts.' ''
      Walker went with that flow, saying, ``Whatever my play did don't matter.
      We won. That's all that matters, man.''
      He was able to have such perspective because Anderson scored 24 points and
      Griffin supplemented his eight points with 10 rebounds, six assists and
      five steals.
      The Celts were ahead by a point when Walker dialed long distance again,
      missing with four seconds on the shot clock and allowing the Hornets the
      chance to go for the last shot.
      Charlotte isolated All-Star Eddie Jones on rookie Griffin.
      ``My thinking is that he can get to the hoop and get fouled and he's going
      to make his foul shots,'' said Hornet coach Paul Silas.
      But Griffin tipped the ball away and Anderson collected it. Two free
      throws and an awkward trey try by 7-footer Elden Campbell later, and the
      Celts were safe.
      ``Defensively he did a great job,'' said Jones, held by foul trouble and
      Griffin to eight points. ``He made me turn and I lost the damn ball.''
      Said Anderson, ``He probably doesn't even know Eddie Jones. He's like a
      garbage man. He cleans things up. We all lucked out getting to play with a
      guy like that.''
      A guy who grants second chances - to the Celtics and to Walker, who this
      morning is captain of a 3-0 team.
      ``No question,'' said Pitino, ``he bailed us out of a lot of things.''

      Griffin a real warrior
      The NBA/by Steve Bulpett
      Saturday, November 6, 1999
      Every summer, the coaches stand on the sideline with their stopwatches.
      They take detailed notes as the prospects run from here to there and jump
      against a contraption that measures their altitude capabilities.
      The coaches' charts fill with numbers, measurements that when taken
      together are supposed to reveal NBA worthiness. When the chart is full,
      when the prospect has been put through an individual obstacle course
      against time and space, the coaches will decide who gets a professional
      wage and the opportunity to go against real human beings in real games.
      And every once in a while, someone like Adrian Griffin will come along and
      bounce his way through several summer sessions. He will be told at the end
      of maybe a day or two of measurements that he doesn't measure up.
      And though Griffin is a quiet man, there will come times when he wants
      more than anything to stop and scream to the coach - to the system -
      ``Hey, you got any category on that chart for basketball player?''
      ``I think when I came out of school in '96, they kind of labeled me as a
      tweener,'' he said. ``They didn't know if I was a two or a three.''
      He didn't fit the predetermined spaces, so he was exiled to the CBA.
      Griffin has broken through and now starts for the Celtics, though it took
      appearances in two summer leagues to really convince the club he belonged.
      With so many players and so little time and so much money, the NBA has
      become a league of charts and measurements.
      ``It has - sadly,'' said Leo Papile, the Celts' lead scout who took up the
      Griffin cause last summer. ``What's the old NFL combine, Blesto? It's
      become like that in a lot of ways. What happens is you get a pedigree.
      Adrian was undrafted out of Seton Hall, and that becomes his calling card.
      The guy who was the 18th pick, the busts, the Doug Smiths, they're still a
      former first-round pick. Adrian is an undrafted player and that makes the
      odds against him overwhelming.''
      Rick Pitino readily admits that he and his staff did not recognize
      immediately what they had when Griffin showed up for a minicamp.
      ``I think if you spend a day or two measuring his skills, you'll come away
      saying that they're good but probably not good enough to make a difference
      on your team,'' Pitino said before last night's game. ``When you spend a
      lot of time with him, you realize that not only is he good, but he's an
      extremely gifted role player.''
      Griffin's main role is understanding what wins games - and knowing that it
      isn't simply statistics. He is a competitor, a guy who will jump to one
      height in a workout and then go several inches higher in traffic when it
      matters. It used to be called court savvy.
      Some players do quite well in a basketball skills competition. But when
      you're at the playground and losing means sitting on the side for the next
      hour, Adrian Griffin is the guy you want beside you in the 95-degree heat.
      ``There are three reasons I recommended him here,'' said Papile. ``No. 1
      is basketball IQ. I think in life we have an IQ and we have a basketball
      IQ. Adrian's a Mensa when it comes to basketball IQ. He doesn't make
      mistakes. And this team had a very low basketball IQ last year. 'Nuff
      said.
      ``No. 2, toughness quotient. This team last year had a very low toughness
      quotient. The excuses were three games in a row and the lockout, and they
      could be valid, but only history will tell us. I think anyone in the
      building and on the coaching staff would agree there wasn't a whole lot of
      toughness here.
      ``The third thing - I thought we needed some soldiers here. A soldier is
      the first guy to go through the door. There weren't enough soldiers here.
      You had a lot of captains and lieutenants and wannabe generals, but
      soldiers are needed to win a war. And the NBA season is a war.''
      Clearly, Adrian Griffin looks better in a foxhole than he does in a hoop
      decathlon.