Bulpett on Griffin & Pot

      Boston Herald

      Griffin worth wait
      Celtics Notebook/by
      Friday, November 5, 1999
      While the wonder of Adrian Griffin seems to emerge more every day, Rick
      Pitino isn't taking too much credit for discovering the now 25-year-old
      rookie. He knows that, if not for the circumstances, the Celtics might
      have let him slip through their hands, as well.
      ``Miami paid him $100,000 and then cut him,'' Pitino said yesterday of
      Griffin's try with the Heat last season. ``They guaranteed him $100,000 to
      come in, and then they cut him.
      ``You need time with Adrian,'' said the coach, preparing for a tough
      weekend against Charlotte at the FleetCenter tonight and the Pacers in
      Indiana tomorrow. ``What happened in Miami could have happened with us. If
      we had spent three or four days with him in a short camp, it could have
      happened. You have to spend a lot of time with him, and each day that goes
      by you appreciate his skills more and more. We had him in two summer
      leagues, and that sold us on him. I guess the best way to put him is that
      you can't judge a book by its cover.''
      In two games, the reigning CBA MVP is averaging 11.5 points, 5.5 rebounds
      and six assists while playing strong defense.
      Said Pitino, looking at the stat sheet from Wednesday's win over
      Washington, ``Eight rebounds, five assists, four steals, one turnover - I
      mean, that's a real valuable player.
      ``Adrian wants to score, but he knows that Antoine (Walker) and Paul
      (Pierce) are the men on this basketball team. They're the go-to guys. So
      he fills in so well with them and fits in so well. He knows when to take
      advantage of situations. He has an uncanny knack of slapping the ball out
      of someone's hand on a rebound and he plays much bigger than his size. I
      wondered if he'd be nervous stepping into the starting lineup, and I know
      now the young man does not have nerves.''
      Fortson takes aim
      Danny Fortson watched practice from the sideline, his fractured right foot
      in its protective cast. The Celtics aren't talking about a target date for
      his return, but ``I set one for myself just for the hell of it,'' he said.
      ``I'm saying hopefully Christmastime. They're just telling me to stay off
      my foot, keep my conditioning and eat good. And stay positive.''
      Dana Barros was back practicing after missing the first two games because
      of his grandmother's death. He was doing extra work on the treadmill
      following the session.
      Crowd takes a pass
      FleetCenter fans might do well to ask Pitino to share part of his salary.
      The coach, after all, admits the word from the seats is reinforcing his
      ball movement directives.
      ``The one thing that's so evident is that the players feel the crowd's
      appreciation for unselfishness and passing,'' Pitino said. ``And it was
      the direct opposite last year. The crowd took its venom on selfish play
      and bad shots. They're going the opposite way now: `This is great
      basketball; we're going to applaud the hell out of you guys.' You get
      rewarded for unselfish play and appreciated for unselfish play.''
      The effect is technical, as well, now that the Celts have better talent.
      ``A team sometimes looks at, for instance, New Jersey and says, `If we
      stop Stephon Marbury and (Keith) Van Horn, we've got a great shot to win.'
      Well,'' Pitino said, ``with our basketball team, the depth is so strong
      that, if you stop (Paul) Pierce, you've got Griffin who's going to step
      up. You've got (Kenny) Anderson who's going to step up. If you stop
      (Antoine) Walker, you've got Pierce stepping up and (Vitaly) Potapenko who
      can step up. Eric Williams could step up. That's what makes it tough to
      defend - when you've got that type of team, when everybody's unselfish.
      ``Like Paul said (Wednesday) night, `They're playing good defense on me,
      let me get my teammates shots.' ''

      Boston Herald

      Griffin worth wait
      Celtics Notebook/by