Also mentioned this morning on WEEI

One thing that Eddie Andelman mentioned this morning is that not only
has Pitino brought in Bill Russell, and the young Celtics are actually
aware of how great he was and are paying attention to him, but Pitino
found out that Dave Cowens was in the area now that his head coaching
job is over, and has had Cowens come in and to talk with the players in
their new training facility in Waltham.

Both Eddie Andelman and Dale Arnold were impressed that the young Celtics
seem to be aware of how great Russell was.  I attribute some of that
awareness to the new training facility itself.  I saw a tour of it on
a Celtics pre-game show just before it opened last season, and along all
the hallways are photos from Celtics championship teams of the past,
including plenty of shots of Russell in action or holding championship
trophies, and Auerbach's victory cigars.  There are also all those clips
they show just before introductions at every Celtics home game, so if the
players didn't know much about Russell before they were on the Celtics,
they learned pretty quickly.  The fact that Russell was part of the
ceremony honoring Red Auerbach last night was probably also not lost on
the Celtics.  The players came out of the locker room in time to see the
last half of the ceremony, and proceeded to outscore Washington by 16 points
in the 3rd quarter.  Any correlation?  I don't know, but that's what happened.

I'm sure there are some Cowens shots on the wall, too, and the fact that
Cowens was coaching an "enemy" team and is now willing to come in and help
the current Celtics players probably really impresses on these young guys
what "Celtic pride" is all about, and that these guys who won all those
championship banners are STILL proud to be called Celtics, long after they've
left the team and worked in other organizations.  That kind of loyalty is
probably a big surprize to these kids, and hopefully makes them feel a bit
more privileged to be a Celtic.

Eddie Andelman said if Pitino accomplishes nothing else as coach, he's still
done well by bringing these older championship Celtics back into the fold.

Jon Mc