No Subject

The Celtics' dismissing of Washington here is becoming a habit. Boston (2-0)
entered the game winning the last two home games against the Wizards by
an average of 24 points and it extended its home winning streak over
Washington (1-1) to six games.

"That was a reality check tonight," Wizards Coach Gar Heard said
immediately after addressing his team. "They outplayed us, they outhustled
us. We just didn't have the energy tonight that I thought we would have.
In the first and third quarters, they really killed us, especially in the
third.

"We got back into the game at halftime. I thought we'd come out ready to
play in the third quarter, and they came out and put us away."

After scrapping back to pull within six at halftime, the Wizards imploded
in the third quarter. They could not shoot, they did not rebound and they
did not play with the urgency needed to overcome the hungry Celtics.

Instead of forcing the action on offense, they settled for jump shots.
They did not get to the free throw line in the third period.

In the recent past, Boston has taken Washington out with its nonstop
press. The Celtics only broke out their full-court trapping defense on a
handful of occasions, opting instead to let the Wizards self-destruct.

The Celtics opened the second half with a 16-2 surge to go up 69-49 after
a layup by Walker. Heard tried a variety of players and lineups but
nothing worked.

Washington was foiled by its failure to prevent offensive rebounds and
its inability to defend inside. The Celtics scored 22 points on second-shot
opportunities. Even more overwhelming: Boston scored 50 points inside
compared with Washington's 22. Other than the second shots, most of the
Celtics' baskets came in transition when the Wizards simply did not get
back on defense.

"We allowed too many easy layups," said forward Juwan Howard, who had
12 points and five rebounds. "If we're going to win ballgames then we're
going to have to play defense. We need to understand defense is a top
priority."

Said Griffin, who had nine points, eight rebounds and five assists: "Our
style is difficult to defend and other teams may not be in as good as
shape as us, so we can get an early lead and the other team has to play
catch up in the third and fourth."

Heard was not pleased that his starters, for the second straight game,
failed to give the intensity or production needed to win. Other than Mitch
Richmond (20 points) and Howard, no other starter scored in double figures,
although center Ike Austin grabbed a game-high 10 rebounds.

Point guard Rod Strickland, who suffered a mild left ankle sprain, scored
nine points and had six assists.

Washington's reserves, who rescued the team in a season-opening victory
over Atlanta, put up solid numbers but most came when the game was
decided. Backup point guard Chris Whitney had 15 points.

"We have to nip this in the bud early," Richmond said. "We just didn't
have the energy. It's early but we don't want to get behind the eight ball."

Washington got into trouble late in the first quarter when its backups
allowed Boston to close with an 8-0 run that gave the Celtics a 28-21
lead. The Wizards' poor rebounding and carelessness with the ball were
their biggest problems in the first half. Boston scored 13 points on
second-shot opportunities and converted nine Wizards' turnovers into 10
points. Conversely, the Wizards did not register an offensive rebound in
the second quarter.

"Going into the season there were two areas that concerned me; second
shots and defense," Heard said. "Tonight we gave up too many easy baskets
and the defense and rebounding needs a lot of work."

Wizards Note: Heard got called for his first technical of the season
with 11 minutes 8 seconds remaining in the first half for arguing a non-call.

© Copyright 1999 The Washington Post Company