Re: complete players

Elgin W Booth wrote:

> I am predicting about 42-45 wins this year due to better team chemistry
> and a huge year from Paul Pierce.  I like the overall talent of the team
> and I think we will be going places.
>
> However, what we really lack are complete players.  I would say a lot of
> our guys are somewhat one-dimensional.  The only real complete player we
> have is Pierce, who can rebound, shoot 3's, create his own shot, get to
> the line, defend, finish on the break, and play within the flow of the
> game.  All our other guys are largely deficient in multiple areas of the
> game.

I agree finally that there are different definitions of a "complete player".
Personally, I regard it as scoring inside and outside while being among the
league leaders in key non-scoring stats like rebounding, assists & steals
(Bird and Magic in a nutshell) but, alternatively, it can mean playing great
basketball on both offense and on defense (like Michael Jordan or Gary
Payton).

If you prefer the "Bird & Magic" definition, then I without question Paul
Pierce doesn't immediately project as that type of player. Current players
charitably in that category may be Grant Hill, Garnett and Antoine. Pierce
averaged 6.4 rebounds, 2.4 assists per game (none were near team highs for the
rookie).  By contrast, the rookie Antoine had back-to-back triple doubles
(hard to picture Pierce doing this particular feat) and led the team in
rebounds. As a second year player, Antoine finished second only to Tim Duncan
in double-doubles, and was one of only four players to average 20 ppg 10
rebounds (hard to picture Pierce doing this either). The pertinent and
fascinating thing about '97-98 was that Toine also led the 36-win team in
total assists and steals. Should you want to add hitting game-winning shots to
your criteria of "complete player", Antoine comes into his own.

If you prefer the "MJ" definition, then I agree Pierce can project as a
"complete player" in the All Star category. Last season he tailed off to 1.71
steals per game, which among other things is less than Antoine averaged the
year before. This year, he should be a much better shooter and scorer (.439)
to make up for possibly fewer rebounds if he plays guard. But making the All
Star team at this moment is about as hard as making the playoffs, and that's
why we've only had one selection since the Bird era.

This is going to be another one of my "broken record" posts, but here is a
list of guards and small forwards other than Paul Pierce who also hope to make
it to their first All Star game this winter: Vince Carter, Allen Iverson,
Stephon Marbury, Allen Houston, Ray Allen, Shareef Abdur Rahim, Antonio
McDyess, Keith Van Horn, Glenn Robinson, Michael Finley, Rod Strickland, Damon
Stoudamire, Ron Mercer, Kendall Gill. I think Pierce is right up there with
them, but all of them probably want to make it just as badly and there are
many other incumbants (more than 24 obviously) who'd like to retain their
place.

Frankly, a lot of these guys can score and defend like Paul Pierce. They also
contribute in a lot of statistical areas. The bottom line is that we
critically need smarter players like Pierce and Griffin, but if Boston's
objective is to win championships (as opposed to being a far more "likeable"
early round playoff team), then you really also need to accept the risk and
annoyance of waiting for Antoine Walker to get his act together. To me it's
totally an "either/or" type equation.....in my view team's that can groom a
"top-5" NBA player win championships, not teams with several "top-25" players.
Not only will the Celts probably not get "fair value" in a trade to rid
themselves of the "hated" Walker, but I'm not even sure if there is even such
a thing as "fair value" for the 23-year-old.

Toine almost inarguably has already demonstrated the level of talent that
might make him a top five player in several statistical categories (although
overall I agree he's probably outside the top fifty players coming into this
season). It is impossible based on stats and the level of competition to make
any claim that Paul Pierce projects as a top-5 player (although overall he's
probably going to consistently be a top-25 player along with Vince Carter).
He'll be among the top-25 versatile scorer/defenders who bring a little
something to the table as a rebounder and assist man.

As I've said already before, Paul Pierce is like drawing a high "two pair" in
poker on the very first hand (great, could get even better) while Walker is
like a "royal flush" with one card missing (a potential debacle). He may be
"all or nothing", but it's retarded to fold your cards (or trade him in for a
fresh hand) when he's only 23-years-old. Peel away all our personal distaste
for him, and you'll recognize that not many players like Antoine have really
entered the league in the past four decades (the triple-double has become
incredibly rare esp. these days). Players who can score inside&out, pass,
rebound and are hyper-competitive inevitably contribute to winning with great
consistency (if they get their act together eventually). Bird couldn't jump
either. :-)

Last time I checked, the goal in Boston is to try to win championships. Pierce
will always get the great accolades in a town like Boston (he's everything we
as fans can want in a local superstar athlete), but Antoine's further
development holds the key to raising the 17th banner.

****