Nice Article On Future Celtics Point Guard Andre Miller

Well, if they get the fourth pick in the draft from the Clippers...

            Point guard Miller is a can-miss prospect

            Jorge L. Ortiz
            OF THE EXAMINER STAFF  May 27, 1999
            <snip>

            But his intangibles may tempt Warriors
            OAKLAND - It would seem like a union made in hoops hell - the
            Warriors, one of the NBA's worst shooting teams from any distance,
            and the University of Utah's Andre Miller, hardly a marksman
            himself.
            Miller's jumper is so erratic, he joked that the Warriors "probably
            expected me to come in and miss everything" when he worked out for
            them on Wednesday.
            Who could blame them? The 6-foot-2 point guard shot an abysmal 26.5
            percent from 3-point range his senior year in college, where the
            line is up to 4 feet closer than in the NBA.
            Then again, that figure is not much worse than the 33.3 percent
            college career mark fashioned by a fairly decent point guard with a
            similar game - Jason Kidd.
            While lacking Kidd's passing wizardry, Miller shares several of the
            characteristics that have made the former Cal standout an NBA
            All-Star. They're both defensive ballhawks and excellent rebounders
            for their size (Kidd stands 6-4), and they know how to score despite
            a balky shooting touch.
            More importantly, both find ways to lead their team to victories.
            The Utes went a combined 114-20 in Miller's four years as a starter,
            including 28-5 last season, when they were supposed to be
            rebuilding.
            Miller averaged 15.8 points (on 49.1 percent shooting), 5.4
            rebounds, 5.6 assists and 2.5 steals while earning several
            All-America honors. The statistics didn't come close to reflecting
            the impact his court savvy and hustle had on games.
            "I would play him every minute of the game if I could," said Utah
            coach Rick Majerus. "He understands the game so well. He's the best
            point guard I've ever coached."
            All of which doesn't answer the question of whether the Warriors
            would take Miller if he were available when they choose 10th in the
            June 30 draft. After enduring the sight of Bimbo Coles and Muggsy
            Bogues repeatedly clanking jumpers the last couple of years, the
            club may prefer to go for a more accomplished shooter - perhaps
            Duke's William Avery or Arizona's Jason Terry - as it seeks its
            point guard of the future.
            Other teams may feel the same way, which is why there's no consensus
            on where Miller will go in the draft. He said he has heard
            everything from third to 15th. Teams that pass up on him will be
            turning their back on a player who has shown the dedication to
            improve every year.
            As a slow, lightly recruited guard with poor grades coming out of
            high school in Los Angeles, Miller was practically ordered to attend
            Utah by his mother, who didn't want him to settle for a junior
            college. He sat out his first year as a Prop. 48 casualty, but
            earned a degree in sociology and criminology in four years, earning
            an extra season of eligibility.
            That tenacity showed in the court as well, where Miller overcame his
            long-range shooting deficiencies by relying on his strength, posting
            up smaller guards and also scoring off pick-and-rolls and on drives
            to the basket.
            Miller - obviously not an advertising major - freely acknowledges
            his lack of lateral quickness on defense, but insists he's able to
            defend opponents with his toughness and opportunistic tendencies.
            Court smarts and instincts don't come across in individual workouts,
            where there's no teammate to find cutting to the basket or loose
            ball to turn into a fast-break hoop. Miller hopes teams look past
            the obvious in judging his worth as a player.
            "I'm not really a good workout type of player," said Miller, 23. "I
            think I can get through it and do average. But the best thing I do
            is come on the court and compete at the level, or higher than, the
            level of the competition. I think some of the workouts really don't
            measure the way I can play on the court."

      ©1999 San Francisco Examiner   Page D 1 Examiner