Record Without Walker, Larry Brown Quote

> Subject: Walker Trade

> 	We already have seen that we can win without Walker. In fact, when
> Walker was injured in the late part of the 1998-99 season, the rest of the
> Celtics did better, and we actually started winning. Since Walker is unable
> to take those horrible shots that he usually does, it means that people like
> Pierce, Barros, and Mercer will able to take shots that actually have chances
> of going in. This leads to more scoring, and hence more victories.

Wow.  It sounds so simple when you put it that way.  But wait:

Celtics record overall:  19-31  .380 winning percentage

Celtics record
without Walker:           3-5   .375 winning percentage

Celtics record
with Walker:             16-26  .381 winning percentage

Hmm.  How do you explain that?  I mean, sure they didn't colapse without
him, but they didn't exactly turn things around, either.

I think Walker is a tricky player to build around as his game currently
stands.  I think it would be in the best interest of the team if he would
worry a little less about scoring and a little more about rebounding and
passing.  If he isn't willing to change his game, I think the Celtics need
to decide how they're going to build the team - at this point it doesn't
look like Pierce, Walker, and Mercer work well together.  I don't think
any of them are untradeable.  Fortunately, unlike the Celtics of three
years ago, the pieces they have today have value and if they decide to
move someone they should get a good player (or two) in return.

> Subject: Too many scorers?
>
> Quip from Larry Brown on the Celts in today's Boston Globe:
>
> <''I always look around and see how guys in this league handle losing,''
> Brown said. ''I've learned a lot about some of the guys on the Celtics.
> I mean, their talent is just incredible. But they have five guys who
> want to score and we have one [Iverson].''>

Ouch.  Give the knife another twist Larry, whydoncha?

Dan

P.S.  Record without Kenny Anderson: 7-9, .438 winning percentage.