Re: Maybe he just needs his spinach

>From: damekmo@teleport.com

>No but I date an orthopedic surgeon and we went out Saturday night, ate
>Thai, and I'm telling you, I was sitting up all night long talking about
>Popeye's knee. Man...that guy's in trouble.

Unless his name is Arnold, I don't think his opinion matters very much in
this matter.

>Popeye's a short banger with mediocre skills all around. Take away anything
>at all from his ability to bang inside and he's gone. On defense, take away
>any lateral movement and he's zero on defense. His offense? Has he got one
>away from the basket? Away from the physical play? Is his offense any good
>at all? What offense? Look, here's what we came up with Saturday
>night/Sunday morning. I don't get the "value" of Popeye Jones. He's a
>mediocre player. Period. Right now, if the Celtics pick up a bruiser power
>forward, Battie backs him up and Popeye never sees a second of playing
>time. El Busto is better than Popeye right now. Jones was never effective
>as a backup center...ever.

Yeah, I can see your point about Popeye's recovery being far from a sure
thing.  I was amazed when he was signed to 3 years, guaranteed.  I'm a
little more positive than you (what else is new?) in thinking that Popeye
should have a good chance at getting back to his former self because his
game didn't depend on lateral movement or leaping.  I'm sure that he was
intended to be that bruising power forward that you're talking about, and if
it looks like he's going to be able to play, he may still be.

I think it's too late to get anything for Popeye, because he already tried
to come back and needed further surgery.  I have to think other teams would
want to at least see him play before taking on his contract, even for next
to nothing.  I certainly agree that Popeye would have trouble getting
playing time if another power forward is signed.  He was something of a
gamble, and I think you might as well just let it ride for the next two
years.  He might end up being a valuable piece of the playoff drive in 2001.
  You never know.

Jim