Josh

Mitch in time could save five
Celtics Notebook/by Steve Bulpett
Wednesday, May 12, 1999

Many were the NBA veterans who have said over the past two years that a
free agent would have to be crazy to want to play for the Celtics under
Rick Pitino's system.

Well, apparently not everyone is keeping their sanity.

As the Celts go into a summer with interesting roster decisions to make,
a few vets have let it be known they wouldn't mind playing a little
Pitino ball.

Specifically, while Mitch Richmond is extremely likely to remain with
Washington, he has sent word to the Celtics that he is not frightened by
their style.

Also, on the last night of the regular season, Charlotte veteran Chuck
Person sent word to Pitino through a reporter that he'd be willing to
talk about the $2 million exception.

The Celtics can't officially respond until after the NBA season is over.

Richmond, who turns 34 in June, is on record as saying he was very
disappointed with the Wizards' season, but if he cannot reach agreement
there, the team may have to explore sign-and-trade possibilities.

He would be of interest to the Celtics only if the negotiations with Ron
Mercer for a contract extension (he has one year left) get to the point
where the club believes it will never be able to keep him or doesn't
want to give him a long-term deal. Then the Celts may look to make a
deal - an option they will undoubtedly explore with Mercer and fellow
second-year player Tony Battie anyway.

Person is an interesting situation in that he was critical of Antoine
Walker early in the season. But the soon-to-be 35-year-old shooter
believes he can be a good influence in the dressing room, as well as on
the floor.

School is the rule

General manager Chris Wallace has an interesting morning routine. It
goes something like this: 1) Wake up. 2) Pray no underclassmen will
declare themselves eligible for the NBA draft.

``I'm the leader of the stay-in-school program,'' Wallace said.

The Celts will go into the May 22 draft lottery with the seventh-best
chance of getting one of the top three picks. If they get lucky, they
get to keep the pick. Otherwise, it is almost certainly gone to
Cleveland as completion of the Andrew DeClercq for Vitaly Potapenko
trade.

``Unless we can get one of the top three, then I'm big on guys staying
in college,'' Wallace said with a smile. ``That's both so Cleveland's
pick isn't as good this year and so ours is better next year. I want all
the underclassmen to stay in school. Like they say, a mind is a terrible
thing to waste.''

Pierce sets up nest

Paul Pierce is setting up home here at a new condo - with decorative
help from his mother. Though he will spend a good deal of time back in
Los Angeles (and play for the Celts in that summer league), he is
getting into Boston. Pierce was very happy that the Bruins advanced to
the second round of the playoffs.

``I was hoping they'd keep playing because I want to go see a game,'' he
said. ``I've never been to a hockey game and I wanted to go this year,
but our schedule was just too crazy.''