LA Times: Gaston's Fiscal Frugality May Send pitino Back To College

      Web-published May 09, 1999 | Updated 3:54 a.m. PT
      THE NBA / MARK HEISLER
      Short Season Gives Fans Case of Short-Term Memory
      Gee, already?
      MARK HEISLER, Times Staff Writer
      <snips>

      Just what the Celtics need, fiscal responsibility: Pitino, who has
      the final word on everything--except the budget--is putting the word out
      again that owner Don Gaston's frugality may doom them to mediocrity. In a
      league in which glamour teams are often $10 million to $20 million over
      the cap, Gaston wants to hold the Celtics to the prescribed $32 million,
      plus another $3 million in exceptions. Responded Gaston: "The new
      collective bargaining agreement, while I think it is an improvement over
      the old one in many respects, still gives teams the ability to commit
      fiscal suicide. We are not going to be among those teams." In other words,
      Pitino will try this for another year, but if he isn't making major
      progress, may go back to college again. . . .